Cual vs que

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Are cual and que interchangeable? I've noticed it seems that here "cual" is used a lot to mean "what" instead of "que".

I don't mind guessing as long as you let me know - please. :)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I think its wonderful that you decided to learn the correct way of speaking spanish........

but hopefully the experts will come on and explain it......i am confused myself..... :ermm:

Jan 5, 2006
Simply put, cual is which, and que is what. Just like in English, there are times when you may interchange them, depending on the context of the usage.

Also just like in English, if you use them improperly, you will end up with an awkward phrase or sentence.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's an example. I've gone into a restaurant and asked "Que es el especial de hoy?", whereupon they responded with "Cual es el especial de hoy?"

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Afirmative use of cual and que:

Son tal para cual = both are the same
Ese es el por que de las cosas que han sucedido.= That is the reason for what it happened.

Interrogative :

Que es lo que? = KLK? = What's up?
Cual es el tuyo? = which one is your?

Hey chip, take it easy cual and que can be use in many different way in Spanish.

You'll get it any time soon.

JJ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To clarify, the usage I was referring to was in the for of the interrogative and not in other forms, as I already understand the correct usage. I'm sure I have used in interchangeable with que to mean "what" but maybe it was just an incorrect usage. However, the Harper Collins dictionary I have says cual can mean "what" as well so I wasn't sure.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Repost for added clarity:

To clarify, the usage I was referring to was in the for of the interrogative and not in other forms, as I already understoond the correct usage. I'm sure I have seen cual used in place of que to mean "what" but maybe it was just an incorrect usage. However, the Harper Collins dictionary I have says cual can mean "what" as well so I wasn't sure.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Here's an example. I've gone into a restaurant and asked "Que es el especial de hoy?", whereupon they responded with "Cual es el especial de hoy?"

In that example yeah, Que should be replaced with Cual.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You're right, but in some mysterious ways in the DR people says Cual instead of Que to ask stuff like "What's today's menu" "Cual es el menu de hoy".

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You're right, but in some mysterious ways in the DR people says Cual instead of Que to ask stuff like "What's today's menu" "Cual es el menu de hoy".

That is the correct way of saying it.......

Cual es el menu de hoy.

Feb 7, 2007
Cual can mean "what".

Like ... cual es el asunto? cual es el problema? - what is the problem, what's the thing?
So it all depends on context.

It can also mean "who".
For example... an old man, who was beaten ... un hombre viejo, el cual ha sido golpeado ... etc.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Que problema tu tienes con migo? Do you have issues about me?
Answer = si muchos / yes many problems.
Cual es tu problema con migo? which one is your problem with me?
Answer = Si que cogiste mi dinero / yes you took my money

Cual can be use instead of what but the answer must be more specific.

JJ

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
It seems Qu? often comes before a noun so maybe you could say qu? especial del d?a tienes or cu?l es blah blah.....indicating a choice (pity I forget everything when anyone speaks to me lol)

you can actually say cu?l es more easily than qu? es so we may have struck something here

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Como te llamas? Que nombre te llamas? Cual es tu nombre?

I think there is a pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.