French onion soup in Sosua

Mar 2, 2008
I have eaten French onion soup in Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, and various other cities in Canada and the US, but I have recently discovered a place in Sosua that has as good a French onion soup as any I've ever tasted.

I ordered French onion soup at Rocky's each of the past 5 evenings. I know, I know, that sounds a tad obsessive, but I wanted ensure I hadn't experienced a fluke. Five times is fairly conclusive evidence that I had not. This is the real, and consistent, deal.

After making a meal out of Rocky's onion soup the past 5 evenings, I have concluded that theirs is one of the best onion soups on the north coast of the DR, and indeed perhaps in this hemisphere, although I make no claims as to any onion soups "across the pond" since I have never tried any 'over there'.

Rocky's onion soup costs 130 pesos, which is a bargain in it's own right, but the price is just the icing on the cake, as it were. The onion stock is superb, the bread and the cheese is excellent, and the presentation is as good as any I've seen.

On top of that, the size is sufficient for a complete meal, although a friend of mine topped it off with a club sandwich, I found that completely unnecessary.

In my opinion, Rick has certainly outdone himself with this wonderful addition to his menu.

Well done!!

Reactions: Adrian Bye

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I have eaten French onion soup in Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, and various other cities in Canada and the US, but I have recently discovered a place in Sosua that has as good a French onion soup as any I've ever tasted.

I ordered French onion soup at Rocky's each of the past 5 evenings. I know, I know, that sounds a tad obsessive, but I wanted ensure I hadn't experienced a fluke. Five times is fairly conclusive evidence that I had not. This is the real, and consistent, deal.

After making a meal out of Rocky's onion soup the past 5 evenings, I have concluded that theirs is one of the best onion soups on the north coast of the DR, and indeed perhaps in this hemisphere, although I make no claims as to any onion soups "across the pond" since I have never tried any 'over there'.

Rocky's onion soup costs 130 pesos, which is a bargain in it's own right, but the price is just the icing on the cake, as it were. The onion stock is superb, the bread and the cheese is excellent, and the presentation is as good as any I've seen.

On top of that, the size is sufficient for a complete meal, although a friend of mine topped it off with a club sandwich, I found that completely unnecessary.

In my opinion, Rick has certainly outdone himself with this wonderful addition to his menu.

Well done!!

The past 5 evenings!!! Boy, you won't have to buy propane for your car for another week.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another FREE ad for Rocky's Place?

If only my car used propane!

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the gas, and my car is stuck with gasoline.
How about!

A plate of Rocky's Ribs dipped into a can of Campbell French onion soup mixed with Chef Boyardee's spaghetti sauce!

A stick to your ribs special!
That should leave you with something to toot about!
2rzuidl.gif
lol

Don

Mar 2, 2008
You could try that if you are so inclined. It sounds like a swell idea, but please leave your gas in Santiago where it belongs.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You could try that if you are so inclined. It sounds like a swell idea, but please leave your gas in Santiago where it belongs.
I was going to use it to propel my car to Sosua, and fill up again at Rocky's ;)

I have only had good Onion soup about once in the States, most other times it was just that, Onion soup.

It's so much better with the bread(?) stuff they use in the good Onion soup.
Is it just bread or something else they use?

Don

Mar 2, 2008
JD, I do remember that commercial. It certainly had a catchy ring to it. It was one of those tunes that seemed to stick in your head, which of course was the whole purpose of it. It worked!

Actually the club sandwich idea is a good one. I thought about following my friend's example, but I honestly was stuffed after eating the soup. My friend loved both items and finished every bite, but then again he is a notoriously big eater.