legal requirements to leave country with Dominican/Canadian child

lapalmita

Mar 2, 2010
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on some of the legal documentation a woman would need to return to Canada with her child. THe child's father is a Dominican citizen and the child was born in the DR. I have heard that there's a special document that needs to be signed by the father, in order for the mother and child to return to live in Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:).

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
1st, has the child ever even been to Canada? Or did mom and child just come here to visit? Where does the father live? Who has the child been living with and where? This is key.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Start with Canadian Passport

Your child will need his/her Canadian Passport (this can take awhile so look into it now if you haven't already) and a letter from the father authorising you to travel to Canada with the child alone. The letter should be legalized by an abogado/notario.

The letter may or may not be requested by Dominican or Canadian Immigration officers when you travel. I am Canadian and my 4 year old son is a dual national Canadian/Dominican with both passports.

We travel back and forth frequently enough and have been asked to present documents by both countries before (though not consistently).

I always travel back from the DR with the Canadian passport (you'll less likely be asked for a letter from his father in this case) and have a judicial ruling of sole custody from a Canadian court issued when he was less than a year old.

lapalmita

Mar 2, 2010
the child was born in the DR....has lived all their short life here. Father has been to Canada years ago, but not since the birth. Father and mother have been living together in the dominican for awhile too.

lapalmita

Mar 2, 2010
Thank you for all of your help! The letter of authorization from the father---is it just his own written authorization signed by a lawyer? Or is there a specific document that he needs to sign? Also, if the move to Canada is a permanent one, is the letter of authorization sufficient? Does the mother need official custody?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Youre gonna need to get the child a Canadian passport/citizenship before you think about any letters. The child cant leave the country without Canadian Residency or Citizenship. Having a Canadian parent isnt enough. The legalities must be worked out. Contact your closest Canadian Embassy for exact info on the process. It takes time from what I know, so be prepared for the footwork it entails--Thats if you havent already done it

Thats the most important step. The notarized letter from the dad will be cake. From the DR all you have to do is get a letter in spanish signed by the father saying he authorizes you to leave w the child and get it notarized by a lawyer/notario publico. Then take it to the nearest Direccion de Migracion office and have them issue you a permit. I believe you need to include a copy of the dads passport....but contact the nearest Direccion de Migracion office for exact details.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronxboy