Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Which Type Of Clothing Should I Bring With??

    First off, let me say that I plan to pack very light and bring as little as possible with me for my PERMANENT MOVE. I am happy to sell, throw away and give away my belongings that I know own and I am. BUT, I would like to know what types of clothing or footwear should I absolutely bring with me because it is hard to find in the DR? Or EITHER it is much more expensive in the DR because it's imported.

    For instance, what about mens suits, dress shoes, rain coats, nikes, ANYTHING that you are wishing someone would bring you on their next trip from the States....

    Even if you can think of non-clothing items, that would be great as well...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    any good quality clothing is hard to come by in DR. bring summer clothes plus some long sleeves and maybe one winter jacket in you plan to travel to europe/usa in the winter.
    as far as suits - one can get a hand made suit for a decent price.

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    shoes, shoes and shoes

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The response will depend on what you plan to do here! Are you retiring? Will you work? Hang out at the beach? Based on the answers what you bring will change.

    The previous response though is correct - anything of quality is hard to find here and when you do find it - expensive.

  5. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You don't see too many rain coats in the DR. Bring button down short-sleeve shirts, a half dozen shorts and a couple light long pants for going out. Sneakers are ok for foreigners but deck shoes are better for daily wear and a pair or two of good dress shoes for going out. Dominicans tend to dress more conservatively than Americans. Bring lots of socks. If you do wear sneakers, bring at least one extra pair.

    If you cook, bring a decent kitchen knife and maybe a can opener. Most kitchen equipment in the DR is cheap Chinese dollar store quality. Even coffee cups can be hard to find since what they sell is usually more like tea cups. Dominicans do not typically drink 12oz of coffee in one cup since they like it very strong.

    It is odd what you miss. I couldn't find chili powder for example and I heard other ex-pats complain about various spices and condiments they couldn't get. You can get the basics for the most part, but especially with name brand condiments, they can be pricey or very hard to find.

    Scan your passport and get a photo online for something that can be used for legal ID. If you should lose your passport, having a copy of it helps a lot. If you bring a laptop, consider getting a replacement battery and charger for it before you leave the US. A surge protector is a good idea too. Sign up for an online backup system like Carbonite in case of theft or breakdown.


    One thing I'd bring next time is travel security box like this:

    Portable Security Safe

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torreylee View Post
    First off, let me say that I plan to pack very light and bring as little as possible with me for my PERMANENT MOVE. I am happy to sell, throw away and give away my belongings that I know own and I am. BUT, I would like to know what types of clothing or footwear should I absolutely bring with me because it is hard to find in the DR? Or EITHER it is much more expensive in the DR because it's imported.

    For instance, what about mens suits, dress shoes, rain coats, nikes, ANYTHING that you are wishing someone would bring you on their next trip from the States....

    Even if you can think of non-clothing items, that would be great as well...

    Thanks
    Hugo Boss on Lincoln in SD always has decent sales on everything including nice suits- I purchased one last year for 50%off which made it much less than in USA. I received an email last week saying 60% off.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So far my tally from your great answers are summer clothes, shoes, can openers, rain coats, surge protector (I could kiss you for that suggestion...), replacement laptop battery (why ,really expensive in DR or unattainable?), and shoes again LOL.... Oh and it seems I won't have a problem finding nice men's suits. That is a really good starting point for me, if anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

    Now I really LOVE my button down shirts, Rocawear, ENCE, etc. I assume I won't be able to find anything of COMPARABLE value. I don't care what brand, it can be made by ACME for all I care, but I like quality. Is that something that I better load up on? And I assume they don't really sell shorts there that much? I find it almost a PHENOMENON that people that live in such a warm climate frown on shorts! Go figure!!!

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I couldn't find chili powder for example and I heard other ex-pats complain about various spices and condiments they couldn't get. You can get the basics for the most part, but especially with name brand condiments, they can be pricey or very hard to find.

    Vanilla pods are also quite pricey.

  9. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Laptop batteries are technicallly only suppose to last about a year depending on how you use it. Anything like that imported into the country is going to have a 30%(?) import tax based on estimated retail price! So if it is $100 for a battery here, you can expect it to cost about $150 in the DR. I think you can get most batteries there, but it would likely involve a trip to a major city and they might have to order it for you. In general if you have something that can break, bring a back-up.

    The shorts thing might have to do in part with how people get around in taxis. When there are seven people in a car meant to hold five in 100 degree heat, you really don't want someone's sweaty legs rubbing against yours. Also with shorts you can get a nasty burn on your lower leg when you hop on the back of a motoconcho from the exhaust pipe.

    BTW CDs and DVDs tend to die in the tropics unless you take great care to keep them safe from the elements. They get these little holes in the mylar layer and eventually they don't play anymore.

    I made the mistake of forgeting to unplug my charger for my PDA and it got fried. Couldn't buy a new one in the DR so it was useless after the batteries ran down. By the time I got back to the US, the PDA had been discontinued and I couldn't buy the charger in the US either. It did not endear me much to HP...

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post

    The shorts thing might have to do in part with how people get around in taxis. When there are seven people in a car meant to hold five in 100 degree heat, you really don't want someone's sweaty legs rubbing against yours. Also with shorts you can get a nasty burn on your lower leg when you hop on the back of a motoconcho from the exhaust pipe.
    That is BY FAR the best explanation I have heard for the shorts thing!


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I made the mistake of forgeting to unplug my charger for my PDA and it got fried. Couldn't buy a new one in the DR so it was useless after the batteries ran down. By the time I got back to the US, the PDA had been discontinued and I couldn't buy the charger in the US either. It did not endear me much to HP...
    That sucks beyond all suckiness...Lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •