Alcohol Dilemma: What Should I Do?

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Hello everyone,

I will be making a return trip to LRD at the end of the month, and will be staying in Puerto Plata aka POP. During my past trips, I have always bought drinks/alcohol at the different discotecas,resturants, colmados, etc, but it became quite expensive. I am looking to switch things up a bit this time around. I was wondering for those with experience, what would you say is the best option for me. Basically I am looking for the most cost effective/ cheapest option.

1. Buy all my alcohol here in the U.S. and wrap it very well in my checked baggage ( I believe I read your allowed to import 200 Liters into the DR).
* I planned on bringing 3 or 4 liters of Vodka (most likely Grey Goose).

2. Buy my alcohol at the Duty free shop in Miami

3. Buy my alcohol from a market in POP or a neighboring place like Costambar or Sosua.

* I have heard conflicting stories that in the DR popular imported spirit brands are very expensive (moreso than in the United States) is this true?

Your help/advice is greatly appreciated.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hello everyone,

I will be making a return trip to LRD at the end of the month, and will be staying in Puerto Plata aka POP. During my past trips, I have always bought drinks/alcohol at the different discotecas,resturants, colmados, etc, but it became quite expensive. I am looking to switch things up a bit this time around. I was wondering for those with experience, what would you say is the best option for me. Basically I am looking for the most cost effective/ cheapest option.

1. Buy all my alcohol here in the U.S. and wrap it very well in my checked baggage ( I believe I read your allowed to import 200 Liters into the DR).

3. Buy my alcohol from a market in POP or a neighboring place like Costambar or Sosua.

* I have heard conflicting stories that in the DR popular imported spirit brands are very expensive (moreso than in the United States) is this true?

Stop drinking!

You asked for advice so I gave it!

Reactions: augustus

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
You'll be in the tropics, so try drinking the local rum. Some of it is quite good & reasonably priced.

I like Barcelo Platinum. 10 dollars for a 700ml bottle.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please be advised that you are allowed 2.00 liters not 200 liters (which, after all, you could not possibly ship or carry as that would constitute a very dangerous cargo!!)

As for what to do?> Oh, hell's bells, bring 4 or 5 bottles of your Gray Goose. And do try the local rum. The better ones are sipping good--Barcelo Imperial, Brugal Siglo de Oro. The others are great for mixing with Coca-Cola or orange juice...or some of those prissy drinks like daiqueries and whatever...

Don't sweat the small stuff...Here in Santiago at a place called H2O you can get anything alcoholic you like. Yes, a bit more expensive than in the states. So what? You're on vacation, right?

HB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Drinks in tourist traps are extremely expensive, but I think even with the new-ish taxes most liquor is cheaper in DR grocery stores than in the US and Canada.

I don't think its worth your while to bring it on a plane.

Also, running out of drinking money is God's way of telling you to stop.

miloco

Sep 7, 2006
First of all how long you would be staying and what amount of alcohol you are intent on drinking would factor into your "alcohol dilemma" (which almost sounds like an oxymoron). If you start drinking in the States and make it to POP I wouldn"t see a problem.
BTW Brugal factory has alot of rum. Buy your booze in the market ....... enjoy.... then go to a establishment for one drink, its alot cheaper. Pace yourself.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Depends what you drink. If you're a top shelf guy buy a few bottles at "Dufree" (I Love that name/word!!) in the airport. If not a top shelf guy, buy local rum or beer. The stuff is much cheaper than you'd buy in your country.

Then once you've got your booze....have some coctails at home or at a friend's house before starting the evening. Then fill a flask and bring it with you to the club. Order a drink or servicio and secretly top off your glass a couple times under the table as you go. That'll have you ordering about 3x less overpriced disco/club drinks.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hello everyone,

Alcohol's prices in any Santo Domingo Liquor Store (Drink 2 Go) are easily lower than any duty free price in any airport. But I see you are heading to La Romana. I don't know the prices overthere so I think play it safe and get it in the airport be it in Santo DOmingo, or Miami.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...Alcohol's prices in any Santo Domingo Liquor Store (Drink 2 Go) are easily lower than any duty free price in any airport......
Are you serious? I never knew that. I believe I remember seeing a Drink 2 Go on Tirantes and everyone was sitting outside with glasses full.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Extreme is absolutely right about liquor prices being much lower in The DR than here in The US, even lower than the Duty Free shops. I used to take down bottles of liquor until I realized they were cheaper down there (if you buy at a liquor store or even better at a large supermarket like La Sirena). Example this last time I was looking for some Don Julio tequila and found it at a liquor store in Cotui for 1200 pesos (around 33 USD). Same bottle at the Dufry 40 USD and at a liquor store here in The US 55 USD.

I've found the same to be true for whisky and gin. Not sure about Vodka as I'm not a big vodka drinker, but I would imagine with it becoming more popular in The DR the same thing would apply.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Extreme is absolutely right about liquor prices being much lower in The DR than here in The US, even lower than the Duty Free shops.........

Thanks to both for the info. I did notice Brugal and Santo Domingo cafe was higher at the duty free........... Now to remember where I saw Drinks2Go liquor store.........hmmmmmmmm

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No need to bring anything here, other than a flask that you can use to secretly make instant cuba libres when you are out. :) We also have a very good local vodka called Red Russian, which goes for the same price as the regular Barcelo rum in most places.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
you can pick up an inexpensive 26er (700ml) for about 3-4$ american in most local variety stores
you will pay just a tad more than that at the supermarkets.
save the space in your luggage so you will have room to bring back :)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
if brand is important

Hello everyone,

I will be making a return trip to LRD at the end of the month, and will be staying in Puerto Plata aka POP. ..................... Basically I am looking for the most cost effective/ cheapest option.

You've been given good advice to buy your booze once you get to the D.R. and if you don't really care about the label that would be your best bet.

However...

If you truly prefer a premium Vodka your best bet would be to buy it at the airport duty free in POP before you go through customs. It's about the same price as it is in Miami but you don't have to worry about carrying it around until you arrive. The duty free has always carried Grey Goose as it is a highly overrated brand. It's just in the past year or so that they've begun to carry Ciroc and Belvedere (far superior to GG) and they've even got Ciroc in flavors.

You can take a chance on some booze store having the premium Vodkas when you get to town but if not (there's not much of a market for $40 bottles of Vodka there) you're stuck with whatever fell off the boat from Poland.

The French have mastered the science of Vodka.