Abandoned Condo bldgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janbell

Jan 10, 2009
Just got back from 6 weeks in cabarete..loved it!
What really bothered me is the location between Royal Residence and Villa Tania where the sidewalk is littered with garbage and there are some abandoned run down Condos. I was staying at ocean one.
I walked that area nearly every day and thought it was absolutely disgusting. Who owns those buildings? What is happening there? Why can't they hire someone to keep that area cleaned up.
I loved everything else about Cabarete it was beautiful but this area really was an eyesore. Just wondering if anything is being done.
Jan

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Cabarete was over developed and there are several abadoned projects it stages of decay.

Scattered garbage is common in some areas and requires volunteers to clean it up, however those of use who volunteer our time are more concerned about helping our neighbors from Haiti who as you must know are still devestated by the earthquake.

Feel free to organize a clean up campaign!

Reactions: Lucille

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i would assume that not having plastic and tin in packaging
most dr'ers were never taught recycling
then the tourists flood the area....
plastic and tin is now ok and they just throw it away.

i have noticed that there are some new collector bins in the towns and signs saying keep the area clean...
so they are trying to rectify it.

when i travel i take pictures of the beautiful aspects of the island....
i thought about taking pictures of the littered highways...
but that's not how i want to remember my time there...:)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am fairly sure the property in question is the abandoned Azzurro resort last owned by Ian Schembri.

Good luck getting it cleaned up, the place has been stripped down to the copper wires and is a disaster zone.

It really is a shame one has to look at that blight in the middle of Cabarete.

Kind of odd they are still advertising here:

http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/azzurro_cabarete.shtml

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I spoke with Natalie, Ian's wife a few days ago. They were all set to bring the building down 3 weeks ago and were hiring a very expensive machine which she explained literally crushes buildings to dust. The Dominican Authorities stepped in and refused the permits and now the building will have to be taken apart brick by brick by teams of Haitians.

I also live in Ocean One and my apartment backs right onto the eyesore that was once the Azzuro, but even though I'm affected, in this case, the owners are trying to get rid of the building.

There's a larger issue though here and that is the overall state of Cabarete's main bay. We have long wished that town council (LOL) or more realistically the developments of O1, OD, Harmony, Pelican Beach, now Millennium + Olas de Oro and the other ocean front developments might get together and employ teams to clean the beaches up. Let's face it, there is very little actual cost involved per person/apartment in employing 3 or 4 Dominicans or Haitians annually to be dedicated to the task. Everyone would be a winner if our beaches were really something to be proud of.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I'm surprised they don't have squatters in there, or have they been employing some kind of security guards?

Linda.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I drove by today. The enterance building has been torn down. I would think the rest wll follow. Depending on the weather and the money available. maybe they'll put a parking lot in, until they are ready to build. It would sure help.

May 29, 2006
I'd like to see a farmer's market/flea market.. There is a real shortage of low rent retail in Cabarete and it would be nice if they could do something once or twice a week. NO CASITAS!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Abandoned condo and apartment buildings, stagnated, abandoned or decaying "developments", empty hotel ruins, they all are the one most overlooked WARNING SIGNS in this beautiful country!

When you see a warning sign, even when it is surrounded by beautiful palm trees yielding delicious coco nuts, think!
They tell you A LOT about the RISKS and the "experiences" of past would be "investors" who ditched B I G money here without even seeing a single cent on the dollar back, EVER.

Most typical pittfals?

• Little planning. No zoning.
  • No or inadequate preparation (proper development) of the terrain, most typically leading to food issues.
  • Megalomania! You may think it's a joke but google it before you laugh. Too big, too pseudo luxurious, too many, too what ever. Paired with NO planning, NO experience and the prevalent local arrogant ignorance and must have tigueraje...
  • Even for local standards, sub standard building quality. Bad design, not taking into account what EVERYBODY in this country knows, like; need to prepare or intermittent service of all basic services, like water, electric power etc. No planning for the inevitable addition of A/C units, etc.
  • Abusive management. "Investors" get to see no income from expected rentals but get drawn in fees, maintenance "cost", little and larger disasters. Short, they get disgruntled, want to sell, stop paying HOA fees (tired of being ripped off). Last stage is the remaining owners try to take over, and then... well, you've seen it.
  • Many older condos have been sold with the developer retaining the title to the land the property sits on (I can SHOW you a couple! UFB!). Some buildings are missing ALL legally required permits and papers. Banks have pulled out or crapped out.
And the list goes on.

Again, they are sadly often overlooked warning signs.

... J-D.

Reactions: woofsback
May 29, 2006
Very good post. I've also heard about land owners retaining the water supply and other key features like the swimming pool. It wouldn't be good to have a million dollar condo investment and then have the land owner fill in the pool with sand when they aren't happy with the current arrangement...

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Sad but I agree with JD,

I will go one further, you have no hotels rooms so airlines are pulling out. With no seats available you have no clients to support an economy based on tourism. So no retun on your investment. You have on the market for rental almost 400 condos all for the same small % of clients. Each one under cutting prices creating downward spiral.

Punta cana on the other hand is experiencing the oposit because??????

Hotel beds available, Think about it.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
AI rape and run

Punta Cana was built for all inclusives from the start. But before you know it, the hotels will be out of date and rundown. The beer and party crowd will move on to the next cheap paradise, probably Cuba. The Cuban government is a co-owner of all tourist resorts, and is able to impose standards. No drugs. No whores. No sankies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The beer and party crowd will move on to the next cheap paradise, probably Cuba. The Cuban government is a co-owner of all tourist resorts, and is able to impose standards. No drugs. No whores. No sankies.

Well, to late for that! Been to Cuba and there are plenty of whores and sankies (called jinetera/o). A lot more than what I have seen in the DR.
Actually, because the government is a co-owner it's a lot less affordable than DR.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Well, to late for that! Been to Cuba and there are plenty of whores and sankies (called jinetera/o). A lot more than what I have seen in the DR.
Actually, because the government is a co-owner it's a lot less affordable than DR.

I was at an elegant, classy resort in January for less than I ever paid in the DR. Water was even drinkable. No sankies; my housekeeper wrote better English than some DR posters. Many of the tourists had returned for their 5th or more stay at the same hotel.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The opposite

I was at an elegant, classy resort in January for less than I ever paid in the DR. Water was even drinkable. No sankies; my housekeeper wrote better English than some DR posters. Many of the tourists had returned for their 5th or more stay at the same hotel.

I can't comment on your experience since I don't and will never stay in a resort.

However, having spent nearly 2 months in Cuba, I found DR to be cheaper. I am not sure where you went in Cuba, but I have seen night clubs with dozens of jinetejas waiting outside for tourists.

Again, Sankies can only be noticed by people who get out of their resorts....

May 29, 2006
Well I think there will be a growing market for condos, esp if they can cater to the retiring baby boomers. You can live a lot better on $2000 a month in the DR than in the US or Canada. Prices in FL are stupid.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Back to ruins

I didn't mean to debate Cuba, just to acknowledge why many Canadians are repeat visitors. More important perhaps is the respect for Old Havana as a world heritage site. No established resident has lost housing and will be accomodated in the restored old city. Compare this to Sosua, which had tremendous historical potential, and no protection from redevelopment. We lost a treasure. I was told that Coralillos was not worth restoring, Luna y Mares in Holguin, Cuba, was obviously restored to its original glory and its structure suits the climate so much better than the chicken cage rooms built in the DR since 1990.

May 29, 2006
Of course, one reason why some people may like Cuba is there are not many American tourists there. I'm an American myself and while most are fine, it's the few bad apples that most people notice. Nothing like hearing someone complain loudlythat there is no Bud Light on tap to make you fade into the background...

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Good Point!

Well I think there will be a growing market for condos, esp if they can cater to the retiring baby boomers. You can live a lot better on $2000 a month in the DR than in the US or Canada. Prices in FL are stupid.

Great point Peter, this is exactly what was going through my mind as I read this post. The current economic crisis has definitely dampened the condo market (everywhere) but there are millions of babyboomers in North America/UK/Europe who will be retiring in the next 10 years and Florida just does not hold the same charm as it did 20 years ago.

The old Azzuro location is perfect. Condos in that location will definitely sell and sell well, especially to second/vacation home buyers and investors who are looking for an investment property that will generate decent rental income.

Status
Not open for further replies.