Looking for Internships and Study Abroad Programs

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi DR1ers,

I just got back from DR after not visiting the country for 3 years and I was completely bored out of my mind. I think I am starting to lose my love for the country; I just don?t know anybody and I would really like to have friends to hang out with but unfortunately I?ve never had the luxury of having a big family in which I could go out around the ?barrio? and just socialize.

I don?t want to feel like a foreigner in my country. I am fluent in the language, I know the history and culture better than most Dominicans living in the island, and I?ve traveled a lot of the country and even been to places few Dominicans have been. I feel so disconnected with the place that I even visit DR1 less and less.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys recommend any study abroad or internship programs. I would like to have friends my age and although I?ve tried to meet people on facebook it just seems weird; most people don?t like to discuss politics or Dominican society as in-depth as I do and I?ve been censored and had some verbal bouts in some of the groups I?ve joined.

What type of companies offer internships in DR? What are good study abroad programs? To be more specific I am interested in internships in the fields of business administration and/or economics.

P.S. I know that these type of topics spring up periodically on the board, but I want the most up to date info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you currently studying? There are student exchange programs galore...IEEE is one of them and there is an office at PUCMM Santiago that has a ton more of them.

HB

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Hi DR1ers,

I just got back from DR after not visiting the country for 3 years and I was completely bored out of my mind. I think I am starting to lose my love for the country; I just don?t know anybody and I would really like to have friends to hang out with but unfortunately I?ve never had the luxury of having a big family in which I could go out around the ?barrio? and just socialize.

I don?t want to feel like a foreigner in my country. I am fluent in the language, I know the history and culture better than most Dominicans living in the island, and I?ve traveled a lot of the country and even been to places few Dominicans have been. I feel so disconnected with the place that I even visit DR1 less and less.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys recommend any study abroad or internship programs. I would like to have friends my age and although I?ve tried to meet people on facebook it just seems weird; most people don?t like to discuss politics or Dominican society as in-depth as I do and I?ve been censored and had some verbal bouts in some of the groups I?ve joined.

What type of companies offer internships in DR? What are good study abroad programs? To be more specific I am interested in internships in the fields of business administration and/or economics.

P.S. I know that these type of topics spring up periodically on the board, but I want the most up to date info.

They run an excellent program: InteRDom Internships in the Dominican Republic

You can be placed in whatever field you want. Contact them as I am not sure when the next program begins. They also focus a great deal on Dominican/Americans

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi HB

I'm going back to school. Got accepted into a couple of econ master programs but I'm still waiting for some business schools to respond. I've applied for MBA/JD programs. That's why I am interested in either doing internship programs in those areas.

I did some research and I did not know that grad students could also apply for study abroad programs.

Are you currently studying? There are student exchange programs galore...IEEE is one of them and there is an office at PUCMM Santiago that has a ton more of them.

HB

tjmurray thanks for the link.

If any DR1 member has had any experience could you guys please share or PM me.

translator

Mar 8, 2010
Graduate study abroad???

Since I don't think graduate study-abroad programs, as such, are very common, you might want to begin by verifying if it's even possible with the programs you've applied to (and are waiting for decisions on). If it really isn't, you might just consider studying a year, on your own, at a university like PUCMM or UNIBE. Since (depending on the program you're admitted to) US financial aid may be possible at these two universities, these places might be your best option. After a year, you probably wouldn't be able to transfer much (in terms of graduate credit) back to your home institution (other than perhaps a course or two), but you would have completed a year at a Dominican university, and had a chance to bond (once again) with a country and culture you've had a connection to (over the years). Another option is to contact the universities in the Dominican that interest you, and see which universities (in the States) they have agreements with (in regards to grad programs). Just a couple of ideas... I hope this helps!