Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custard a happy ending to tale of woe.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Custard a happy ending to tale of woe.

My Brown & Poulsons custard powder ran out and my Birds lost its colour and its flavour. What to do ? We were faced with a glut of bananas/guineos as three banana trees all decided to bear their ripe fruit at the same time!
    Then I discovered Maizena Duryea. The first time I used it it was good but the second time terrific, you'd have had a job telling it from proper custard, my Mum would have been proud of me. Our 3 year old daughter had to be stopped from asking for more and my Dominican wife on her second bowl full said she'd never heard of Banana Custard and didn't understand why she'd never heard of any Dominicans making or eating it. Easy to make; just follow the directions on the package but increase the amount of Maizena Durea by 50%. Unlike custard you don't have to add sugar, being a Dominican product it already had sugar in it. ( Why on earth do they put sugar in bread?). After its cooked wait over 5 minutes to put the sliced banana in. Result perfect Banana Custard.
    Whilst speaking of bananas, why do Dominicans believe that eating bananas increases your amount of phelm when you have a cold ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting!

did you add vanilla?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No, vanilla already in the mix.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

so you're saying Maizena Duryea out of the box is english style custard, just with more quantities of powder? what if we leave out the banana?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a reasonable substitute - I've used it for making tropical rum trifle.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Adrian Bye I haven't tried it with anything else but bananas yet but I shall try it with trifle the next time my wife bakes a cake. If I get myself organised for a spotted dick I'll try it with that. I've still got some Atora in the freezer. anybody know a Dominican equivalent for Atora suet?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

chiri i forgot, you did mention this to me at christmas time :-)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some fresh Atora suet in the fridge (courtesy of Matilda's mum) but have not found an equivalent here to buy in the DR...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too funny...........

I believe you are all speaking Engish but have NO idea what you are talking about! LOL
    Are you all from the other side of the pond? : )
    Sunny

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
    I believe you are all speaking Engish but have NO idea what you are talking about! LOL
    Are you all from the other side of the pond? : )
    Sunny
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, from the wonderful UK, yes!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast