Puerto Plata Duty Free Shops

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
I Just received an e mail from a friend that all the duty free shops at the Puerto Plata airport were burned down in a mysterious fire my friend's shop among them. I have not read anything on DR 1. Anyone have any information.

Adam

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Why is the story about the fire that destroyed all of the duty free shops in Puerto Plata airport being buried on Dr 1 as well as the newspapers? This is a big story involving, for example, victory against the Canadian lessor of the duty free shops by the shop owners several weeks before their shops were burnt down.

Adam

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What do you mean 'buried'? It was in all the local papers & many of the nationals, repeatedly. There was a thread on DR1 & it was all over the Dominican blogs as well. Papers also carried results of the investigation. So did online news sources. Most north coast residents knew about this at the time it happened, not several weeks later.

I would have offered to find the articles for you, but since there was no mention of the thread I offered a link to, I will get on with other things. :)

Reactions: drloca

Richie

Mar 30, 2005
Those "duty free" shops were always a joke - not cheap by comparison with similar airports in Europe, pushy staff, no marked prices, prices quoted only in US dollars, fraudulent exchange rate into other currencies, etc.

Won't be missed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Those "duty free" shops were always a joke - not cheap by comparison with similar airports in Europe, pushy staff, no marked prices, prices quoted only in US dollars, fraudulent exchange rate into other currencies, etc.

Won't be missed.

They sell a bottle of local rum for at least twice the price that you can buy it in any Supermarket in town. They are a joke, and a ripoff.

Mar 2, 2008
The fire wasn't "mysterious". The fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring, and it spread quickly because of all the alcohol and perfume, all of which was very well documented by numerous investigative agencies.

The facts regarding the fire weren't buried by DR1 or anyone else. The fire was well reported and discussed, as pointed out by Lambada.

The the shops themselves were over priced and inconvenient to shop, more of a hassle than anything, as SKY mentioned.

So, I'm not exactly sure of the original poster's point.