Registering a newborn baby with the British or Canadian embassy

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Has anybody had any experience with getting nationality for a newborn baby for either the Canadian or British embassy. I have both nationalities but my girlfriend is Dominican. Our daughter was born three months ago and I would like for her to have my nationalities, or at least one of them.
Any advice would be great. I have already read the info on the embassy website, but it is always better hearing from somebody with hands on experience.
Many thanks

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hi Tee,

I could tell you how to go about getting her Canadian Citizenship. But first off, I would need to know if you were born in Canada. You cannot pass on citizenship if you yourself acquired it by descent if you were not born in Canada. If you immigrated to Canada, and became a citizen, you could pass it.

Basically follow the info at : Proof of citizenship

Get your daughter's birth certificate translated, submit it with the application, and certified copies of your proof of citizenship (canadian birth certificate, or citizenship card) and take it to the embassy with the 75$ fee.

Pretty much the same rules apply for brits - can only be passed onto the first foreign born generation.

Reactions: Bronxboy