packers needed for delicate items/breakables

sarge

Dec 15, 2008
I am moving from one apartment to a new one (in the capital) -- I would like to hire a professional packing company as I have a lot of breakable items -- any suggestions?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sarge,

I would suggest do not hire anybody to pack your breakables. If it is going to be done it is best to do it yourself.

Go to stores or any location that has used carboard boxes available and ask for them, if they balk negotiate a resonable price. Acquire packing tape at any ferreteria. Look for discarded newspapers or like matter to wrap the breakables and then pack them in the boxes yourself. Even if you have not done this before your will be surprised of how well you can pack and protect your goods.

The reason I suggest this is; even if you hire a service to pack to your goods I would expect you will not have enough confidence the items will not be packed to your expectations, as services here are heavy on promises of excellent service and light on quality control. The end result is if anything is damaged at the time you unpack there will be plenty of denials of responsibility and little compensation, if any at all.

If you have any more questions about packing suggestions feel free to PM me.

Regards,
PJT

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Sarge,

I would suggest do not hire anybody to pack your breakables. If it is going to be done it is best to do it yourself.

Go to stores or any location that has used carboard boxes available and ask for them, if they balk negotiate a resonable price. Acquire packing tape at any ferreteria. Look for discarded newspapers or like matter to wrap the breakables and then pack them in the boxes yourself. Even if you have not done this before your will be surprised of how well you can pack and protect your goods.

The reason I suggest this is; even if you hire a service to pack to your goods I would expect you will not have enough confidence the items will not be packed to your expectations, as services here are heavy on promises of excellent service and light on quality control. The end result is if anything is damaged at the time you unpack there will be plenty of denials of responsibility and little compensation, if any at all.

Regards,
PJT

OOOOOPS! Double post..
Bryan

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Sarge,

Regards,
PJT

I beg to disagree, unless your move is a short one, I wouldn't advise packing by yourself using secondhand materials. I have worked for international removal companies in Europe and regularly deal with insurance claiims for personal effects and household goods.

Used carton boxes, no matter how good they look do not have the strength of new ones and cannot be stacked easily. Newspaper is not ideal for wrapping breakables as apart from anything else the print often comes off and will not be removed in a dishwasher. There is no alternative to professional packers using good materials. Packers know all about the limitations of the materials they use, how to pack so that boxes are balanced for ease of lifting and carrying and not overstressed. Using standard size packing boxes facilitates stowing inside a vehicle or container. Finally a professional packing company will also unpack for you and take away all the debris afterwards.

One of the best companies in the SD area is "Teodolo Aquino" We have used them twice and they are good. They work for the UN and diplomatic missions.
Bryan

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bryan,

I have great respect for your post, it is very concise and appropriate for a long distance move. Bryan like you said "unless your move is a short one", the orignal poster is making a local move and rigid packing standards can be lightened up, if desired. Yes, the OP should hire a professional moving company but it is possible he can do some packing himself to save on expenses.

The reason I make this comment is the cost to adhere to strict standards is no added value considering the low risk involved. If the OP's personal time is limited and he can afford the expense of having the goods packed and unpacked by a service, more power to him.

A risk is when you pack yourself you have little or no recourse with the mover/packer if there is damage or loss in transit. If a packer is a separate company from the mover aka transportation provider and there are damages, then there is a battle as who is liable for the damage, you lose waiting for an settlment. If the mover is also the packer you have recourse when there is damage and loss, you file a claim. However, the caveat is reimbursement for damage or loss is not at full or actual value, the mover will pay out an assigned value on damaged or lost goods based upon a weight formula or a percentage of estimated value. Then you wait. The OP's move is a local move, he can weigh his risks and make an informed decision

I suggested to the OP to do his own packing from my own personal moving experiences and from the fact I have 35 years experience in the U.S. transportation logistics operations: shipping domestic and internationally by all forms of transport. This includes hands-on experience with product, administration and management of warehouse operations, transportation contract negotiations (to include household goods movers), on site inspections of transport services, and of course filing claims.

I moved my own household goods from the states to the RD. My wife and I wrapped and packed all goods with family help into an 40 ft. ocean container. The container also included our camioneta. Everything arrived at destination intact and this was even after customs inspection.

The final choice is up to sarge as to how he intends prepare for his move. Let's wish him good luck.

Regards,
PJT

Last edited: