Is it safe to live in the DR??

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I've been reading through some of these threads and it sounds as if it's not very safe to live in the DR. We are considering a move to Sosua, are there any safe places to live up there?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
others will disagree but IMHO the north coast is not particularly safe and attracts more of the problems of the country.

puerto plata is probably better, but i think santiago or santo domingo are safer options or other smaller non-tourist towns along the coast like nagua.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
most places are safe until something happens there. You have to view a potential property with safety in mind and take responsibility for safeguarding your own property . Whereever there are people that dont have very much there will be a risk that they are looking to take it from you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've lived in the DR for 25 years, the last 10 in Sosua. Would not have stayed this long if I didn't think it was safe.

If you are in the bar-prostitute crowd, then you will likely have problems. If you live like you would in your own country, you'll be fine.

Sure, there are areas you probably shouldn't go into, but there are areas like that in every city in every country.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Except for ladrones, dengue, dangerous roads, questionable policing, some unscrupulous expats, food poisoning, faulty wiring, earthquakes, hurricanes, heat stroke, internationally wanted criminals, oceans to drown in, holes to fall in, things to trip over, water that's not potable, occasional lightning strikes, Leptospirosis and some other stuff I can't think of right now... nothing to worry about. You can probably make a longer list for whatever part of the world you're living in.

If you want every little thing in your life to run smoothly, stay away. If you're somewhat adventurous, up to a few challenges, and take reasonable precautions against those things listed above... come join the rest of us enjoying life here in DR. You'll seldom be bored. For me, the benefits (perceived and real) outweigh the negatives (perceived and real).

Reactions: Keith R

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Well you could choose a much better town then Sosua but if you decide to live in Sosua think full gated community with 24 hour security and more then just one old gard that sleeps all night long. To me in the DR safety is where I do not want to cut back on. Have a driver so if you have an car accident he goes to jail, not you, have a company offer you maid service so if the get fired you are not responsable, have an international medical insurance in case you need to go to the hospital for a major oparation. beside this enjoy your life in Sosua.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe you could give a tip on where you would go rather than where you wouldnt, it would be very helpful to the person who posed the question.- thanks awfully

Mar 2, 2008
"Well you could choose a much better town then Sosua but if you decide to live in Sosua think full gated community with 24 hour security and more then just one old gard that sleeps all night long. To me in the DR safety is where I do not want to cut back on. Have a driver so if you have an car accident he goes to jail, not you, have a company offer you maid service so if the get fired you are not responsable, have an international medical insurance in case you need to go to the hospital for a major oparation. beside this enjoy your life in Sosua."

cdn

Well, well, I guess the meek shall inherit the earth, but probably they shouldn't choose Sosua as a place to live.

Of course the meek might have the same view of the rest of the island as well, so limiting that perspective to the town of Sosua is rather short-sighted.

By the way, I do not live in a "gated community" although there is a gate leading into the condo. It serves as one level of security, but is hardly an impediment to coming and going as i please.

Our old "gard" (normally spelled with a 'u') is just one of our full time maintenance staff. As a rule they are quite friendly and dependable.

I do not have a driver, yet I drive around Sosua quite frequently, and (knock on wood) I haven't a problem yet, except for being ticketed for driving without a seat-belt, but that was entirely my fault. Driving here is certainly something to take seriously, but then again so is driving in NYC, or any other city, for that matter.

I just love all the assumptions. They only go toward helping our cause. Of course it takes some balls to live in this country, and if one is spooked by the old wives tales, it would probably be best if you stayed wherever you are now, all safe and warm, even if it is in "cdn".

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
It's safe

The US Embassy's website says the DR is as safe as any major city around the world. I live here in Sosua with my wife and child. We do live in a gated community with armed security guards but that was my wife's preference. I drive here, I have health insurance here for all three of us, and we are really enjoying living here.

Don't get mixed up with the kind of things that cause problems and you won't have any more problems than you would anywhere else in the world.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I just love all the assumptions. They only go toward helping our cause. Of course it takes some balls to live in this country, and if one is spooked by the old wives tales, it would probably be best if you stayed wherever you are now, all safe and warm, even if it is in "cdn".

And maybe the suggestion that it takes balls to live here is another old wives' tale :cheeky:? Compared with parts of Africa (Nigeria comes to mind) and even parts of Asia, the DR is a very easy place to live in. It's even easier if you've lived in a few other countries first and can appreciate how easy it is here, by comparison. Provided one is living a 'normal' life. But I agree that the timorous, the anally-retentive and those without street smarts should not move here, partly because they won't be happy and partly because they can cause problems for the rest of us....;)

There's more I could say but I need to summon Jeeves to prepare the Sherman Tank & forward posse with gatling gun so I can pop out for a carton of milk..............:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I got mugged in Samana 15 years ago. A few months later I was in the US telling somebody in Boston about my experience. The person told me that a week before he had been walking through the main park in Boston and somebody had put a pistol in his stomach and taken his wallet.

If you were thinking of moving to Boston, would you be posting questions on messages boards asking if it was safe to live there?

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Safety

I spent over 30 days in the DR last year looking at different areas to live. I have traveled from SD to Boca Chica, Santiago, Corfesi, Puerto Plata and Sousa. I use public transportation everywhere I go and stay in small hotels. I have never felt unsafe in my travels. Normal precautions will serve you well and always be aware of your situation and surroundings.

Reactions: Keith R

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Don't act like a naive Canadian if you come to live here and you will be fine.
Please note that I am not trying to insult Canadians, but I have worked with many Canadians and seen many that come here and I have recognized that Canadians have the least amount of "street smarts" of people from any country.
What a joke...you don't know the same Canadians I know.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
I have recognized that Canadians have the least amount of "street smarts" of people from any country.

unless of course they have come from the streets themselves:cool:

sosua is no different than living in detroit, chicago, n.y., or any other city in this world...
just follow the same rules you would in your own city and things will be fine

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for all of the differing input. It wasn't my intention to stir up trouble. My husband has a medical condition that makes living in a warm climate more comfortable for him. We were just in the DR last month and fell in love with the beauty of the country and the people that we met. He is retired from the military and I no longer work so we thought that perhaps the DR would be a good place for us to live. I've never been to a city like NY or Chicago, I've always lived in the suburbs or the country. I am not 'afraid', I just think getting information from people who actually live there is a wise idea. I also have my 2 kids that I am concerned about. Just because a place may be good for a young retired couple doesn't mean that it's good for their teenage kids. So, once again , thank you all for responding and I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
no toe stepping at all :)

feel free to ask any questions you like
there are many people here with a very good knowledge of the dr.
they are always willing to assist.
and enjoy life while you are still able to :)