Tips and advice, please

asuka13

Mar 6, 2010
Hello all Im new here ^ ^! uhm I wanted to ask. My Boyfriend is moving down to DR in a year or so and I wanted to know if anyone could give us some tips and advice?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1 - I gave your question its own thread. Before anything the best advice would be to read the information here on dr1, in the Living Forum and other forums, and in the articles section. You can also use the "search" function for specific topics.

Do you know which part of the DR you'll be moving to?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No point in making assumptions until the OP provides more details. If there's no follow-up, the thread will be closed.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
why is he moving here? Sanky-internship? School? Employment? Or Dreams of Life in the Tropical Paradise? In a year or so? Where does he want to move? And what tips would he like to know specifically? You re not coming with him so I m guessing that s the end of the relationship and you guys will be "buds"?

asuka13

Mar 6, 2010
Sorry for the delay. Well I live in Jarabacoa. Currently working at an internet cafe. He is a certified Fitness trainer, Tennis Instructor, also knows his way around car parts, plumbing and electrical repair. Additionally he is good at forging metal objects, such as Swords and various ornaments. I wanted to ask if anyone knows places outside of jarabacoa, say santiago, where he could get some employment? We have worked on our own a few things such as locating a house to live in. and we are in the process of aquiring it. But I havnt lived in this country for much and I really dont know my way around. I tried asking around town. specifically at schools and gyms if they would be willing to employ him but apparently nobody is interested. So I ask you if any of you live within santiago, La Vega or Closer if you know of places of possible employment. Asd for why he is moving down here, we met in sometime ago. dated online. met each other a few times(we both travelled to each other's country). He wants to move out of Germany down here. he says he is tired of the place and whants to live somewhere else. he is aware this isnt really paradise and you have to work hard to live here. he is find with it.

Reactions: woofsback

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
dreams are great :)

much clearer description:
of course that will end the vultures on sankie patrol :)

since he has metal work experience...
maybe he should contact some construction sites there or in the surrounding areas
or do some crafts that he may be able to sell on the beach.
he could advertise and do specialty jobs across the island...
i'm sure once he gets started the rest will unfold.

good luck on you endeavers...:)

asuka13

Mar 6, 2010
We had the idea, that he would make Metal Novelties, swords, ornaments and the like and sell them online. but as Main job he was looking foward to being either a Personal Fitness Instructor or general Sports and Tennis Teacher here in DR. He has had a pretty long career in germany and was sorta looking to resume it here.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We had the idea, that he would make Metal Novelties, swords, ornaments and the like and sell them online. but as Main job he was looking foward to being either a Personal Fitness Instructor or general Sports and Tennis Teacher here in DR. He has had a pretty long career in germany and was sorta looking to resume it here.

There is certainly a vibrant market for polishing swords in the tourist areas.

:bunny:

Reactions: Matilda

Oche

Jan 6, 2004

Who knows, there maybe still a market for cutlasses among the brethren of the coast. :pirate:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

:bunny:

meat swords and sabers no doubt!

well the metal fabricating will work better than the fitness trainer. If anything fall back he can get a job with an ironsmith putting bars on windows and making metal fences and gates. The ornamental metal work may be of interest to the wealthier folks who can afford sculptures and statues and art pieces for their housing areas.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we live in jarabacoa and know the new country club will be opening its doors in july... supposedly there will be a gym... and I know lots of people around there are looking for a good gym and trainer... maybe that is an idea? Feel free to contact me by pm

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Where is this new golf course going to be in Jarabacoa? Is there a website for it yet? Who designed it?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, welcome to dr1. We are all here to help you get answers to your questions.
I see your boyfriend is a jack of all trades but expert of non. I am afraid he will have hard time here. If he doesn't speak spanish and only holds credentials in training people in the gym, then I am afraid he has some competition cut out for him. We have dime a dozen personal trainers in Santo domingo and santiago gyms. There are quite a few trainers from spain. Not only they can speak spanish (national language) they are also good at what they do. So if your boyfriend speaks little to no spanish, he might as well make decorating swards and sell them as a side job.
I see you speak good english but it seems you also work in an internet center. Not the sort of job that will make you rich in anytime soon. So I guess, you 2 have some hills to climb.
I wish you both good luck.
AZB