How much do paralegals make in DR?

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
I will be starting a program here in Canada for Paralegal and I just wanted to know what the salary in DR for future references.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I will be starting a program here in Canada for Paralegal and I just wanted to know what the salary in DR for future references.

Stay where you are. Lawyers here make less than you can make now, as for Paralegals in the DR, forget it. You can make more as a busboy in Canada.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Thats what I was thinking. I dont know if they have paralegals here. Shucks, you cn be a lawyer and make $18K/here so what would they pay a paralegal? I would think it you had that skill, you could jump the broom and just call yourself a lawyer here. Get all the 18K for yourself. Get yourself some bigwig US/Canadian deportee and represent him. They are deporting 4,000 Dominicans from the US every year so there has to be some big time hoodlum in there somewhere you can press as a client.

Last edited:

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
So what can make livable money in DR?...im talking just being able to pay rent buy food and maybe shop for a little something here and there

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
a. lawyer with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
b. doctor with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
c. reputable and competent real estate agent who is bilingual and has connections in her english speaking universe where she can pitch overpriced tropical real estate, preferably to drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
d. a talk show host with a cheap wardrobe who is open to bribery and payola and who also can get the hard hitting edgy behind the scenes interviews with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.

Thats about it....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You left out the oldest profession in the world.

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006

My dream is to become a nurse but I am not sure how much nurses make down there or if I can live off of the pay. Also, I was wondering if english teachers make more than nurses in the DR. Does anyone know how much nurses or english teachers make? I am fluent in english and spanish if that helps. Also if these careers do not provide a survivable pay, what career can i go into that will allow me to live comfortably in the DR?

I hope this doesn't come across as judgemental because I know you are young and starting your life and are free to choose any path you want...its just observation & advice.

Just reading your posts in the last few months it seems like you are willing to give up your dreams and do whatever job will make you some money so you can live in the DR with your husband.

If you are preparing to submit your husbands PR application, why are you sacrificing your dream to be a nurse? He will be in Canada soon enough...

I know it feels like an eternity to wait out the processing time but it is important to think about what you want for your future together. A nursing career in Canada is extremely different from a job as a paralegal.

Why not save the money you are about to spend on school again, get a job as a nurse and start making money/saving for your future.

My husband has been in Canada now for 11 months. We focused on getting him settled and into a good job right away so that we could save. We have worked really hard & just bought our first house from savings we have accumulated in the last year.

If you really want to have a successful Canadian/Dominican relationship then don't throw away your career, your money or your future living in a place you can't earn a decent living. It might work out for the short term but what about 5, 10, 30 years from now?

Our goal far ahead in the future would be to live in both places....it isn't even close to being a reality right now.

You have to do what is best for both of your futures and your relationship....you just shouldn't have to give everything up to do it. If you do, you will probably resent it at some point.

Sangria

Reactions: drloca

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
a. lawyer with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
b. doctor with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
c. reputable and competent real estate agent who is bilingual and has connections in her english speaking universe where she can pitch overpriced tropical real estate, preferably to drug dealing clients who pay in cash.
d. a talk show host with a cheap wardrobe who is open to bribery and payola and who also can get the hard hitting edgy behind the scenes interviews with drug dealing clients who pay in cash.

Thats about it....

:D:laugh: i had to laugh soooooooooo much! totally realistic point of view!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am sure some lawyers make good money here. There are some good lawyers with a very good education. But there are so many you call themselves lawyers because it is so easy to get a degree. So working as paralegal does not really make sence.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Info from attorney friend in the capital.

"...depending on the Law Office...most paralegals work almost free since they are interested in the experience and learning more about legal practice.
some offices in SD pay from 10,000 to 15,000 per month.
Large firms pay 30,000 to a paralegal but they work almost as the attorneys."

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
I hope this doesn't come across as judgemental because I know you are young and starting your life and are free to choose any path you want...its just observation & advice.

Just reading your posts in the last few months it seems like you are willing to give up your dreams and do whatever job will make you some money so you can live in the DR with your husband.

If you are preparing to submit your husbands PR application, why are you sacrificing your dream to be a nurse? He will be in Canada soon enough...

I know it feels like an eternity to wait out the processing time but it is important to think about what you want for your future together. A nursing career in Canada is extremely different from a job as a paralegal.

Why not save the money you are about to spend on school again, get a job as a nurse and start making money/saving for your future.

My husband has been in Canada now for 11 months. We focused on getting him settled and into a good job right away so that we could save. We have worked really hard & just bought our first house from savings we have accumulated in the last year.

If you really want to have a successful Canadian/Dominican relationship then don't throw away your career, your money or your future living in a place you can't earn a decent living. It might work out for the short term but what about 5, 10, 30 years from now?

Our goal far ahead in the future would be to live in both places....it isn't even close to being a reality right now.

You have to do what is best for both of your futures and your relationship....you just shouldn't have to give everything up to do it. If you do, you will probably resent it at some point.

Sangria

I am interested in possibly one day living there and that is the only reason I asked. I have always been torn between going into the medical field or legal fiels. So the comment you made about me sacrificing my dream just to live down there with my husband isn't really the point I wanted to convey. I got accepted into the paralegal program and thought I would try it and compare it with nursing just because I am not really liking it as much as I thought. That is the only reason I asked. I thought it would be nice MAYBE one day live down there so I could be closer to both my family and his. For now we will live here.... that is why I am in the process of submitting his application. Your advice is great however thank you very much for your advice :)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Just looking out....there are so many women that will give it all up for nothing in the end.