Gas station scams

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Earlier today filled up the car, at i believe it was the shell on betancourt and Privada area.I had a quarter tank left. I was tired after a long drive and when signing my visa slip, i noticed the bill came to about 1000 pesos more than when i fill up when completely empty.
Of course the attendant had already started another car fillup therefore no way to confirm at the pump. Long story short, i got about 800peso in cash returned and a sad dominican who thought they just made a quick 1200pesos(masOmenos).
They still screwed me out of probably 400. The manager inside didnt care, nobody does, it seems to be the norm.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Always watch the price is at zero before they start pumping gas.
This has happened to me a couple of times when I pretended not to be looking.
I figure I got a good gallon for free each time they tried to rob me.
Make them reset the pump and start again.
Be firm with these guys.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Always watch the price is at zero before they start pumping gas.
This has happened to me a couple of times when I pretended not to be looking.
I figure I got a good gallon for free each time they tried to rob me.
Make them reset the pump and start again.
Be firm with these guys.

Yes this im sure is exactly what happened. Its really too bad there wasnt more of a deterent for stealing. Maybe the thought of being unemployeed and not being able to provide for ones family, may actually register in the the ladronic mind.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the manager inside did not seem to care.
Who is going to put a stop to this if the manager is not interested?
As long as the manager receives the cash from the pump guy that his computer says he should get then what is the difference to him?
The thieving turd who robbed you is not scared of being fired.

What makes me laugh is the indignation you get from the thief.
Not a trace of shame for doing wrong, not even a trace of shame for getting caught.
Just distress that he lost some money on the deal.

This is not just a Dominican problem, obviously. This has happened to me in Italy before now. That is why I always stand with the attendant when he is pumping gas.

Anyway, it pays to keep your eyes open and do not be afraid to challenge this kind of nastiness.
Many gringos will disappear quietly into the night as they do not want to cause a stink.
I relish the challenge!

Feb 7, 2007
I got suckered out of probably RD$500 in gas money in Vicente Noble once ... at that time, 500 pesos bought exactly a quarter of a tank of good gasoline ... so with 1000 pesos I should have gotten 1/2 the tank, but ended up with 1/4 only instead.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
[QUOTE
The thieving turd who robbed you is not scared of being fired.[/B

What makes me laugh is the indignation you get from the thief.
Not a trace of shame for doing wrong, not even a trace of shame for getting caught.
Just distress that he lost some money on the deal.
[/QUOTE]

Yes this the very troubling part of the experience,almost as if no crime has been committed, no remourse, nothing...No fear of being fired thrown in jail..
No integrity at all, and the scarey thing is this is nothing worth reporting here, as again is very normal...You talk about the corruption and the people who accept it..Is this country moving forward or backwards...Maybe the next generation will care!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gas station scams are very common. Even after buying gas at the same station twice a week or 4 years they still tried to scam my wife a couple of times.

My advice is ALWAYS get out of your car and check the pump both before they start and after they are finnished. In fact I don't even tell them what I want until I am out of the car and standing nexg to the pump. Also use cash if possible and not a credit card.

Bob K

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
1) Never use a credit/debit card at a gas station. Or anywhere in the DR if you can help it.

2) ALWAYS get out and WATCH the attendant zero the meter and fill your tank.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband and I were talking about this last night. We mostly bought gas at an Isla station in Haina on our way to Playa Najayo / Playa Palenque, and every time the guy would point at the pump and say "Zero, OK?" And my husband would nod and then he'd begin. Now, I'm wondering if that was because he's a somewhat stern-faced Dominican??? Double-standard for ex-pats, tourists and women? Not surprising I guess.

AE

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
I was gonna mention that as well... A lot of times the attendant will make a point to tell you the pump is on Zero. Whenever this happens i always become more suspicious

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
I bought gas this weekend and the Dominican attendant made a point to show me he was starting at zero. Never happened before. I did not know why he made a big deal about it (stupid me.) Now I do. Just thought at the time he was being professional and taking his job a bit seriously. Boy, was he! Now I know. Thanks.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
personally i don't see this as a big deal. 95% of gas attendants will show you the pump is on zero before they start. then you know what you're getting.

thats all there is to it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
with the liquidation-severance pay laws in this country, getting 'fired' is not really a deterrent when its most likely the biggest jackpot they will ever see.

Feb 7, 2007
with the liquidation-severance pay laws in this country, getting 'fired' is not really a deterrent when its most likely the biggest jackpot they will ever see.

And, because of that, their employer may be quite reluctant to fire them ...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Dominican Republic is customized for cheating.

In the U.S. when you put the hose back in the cradle, it ends the transaction.
The pump needs to be reset before you can pump gas again.

Don

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The Dominican Republic is customized for cheating.

In the U.S. when you put the hose back in the cradle, it ends the transaction.
The pump needs to be reset before you can pump gas again.

Don

So you say when they put the Knozzle back it doent end the cycle?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
And, because of that, their employer may be quite reluctant to fire them ...

Yes these style labor laws are the worst i have ever seen. If an employee breaks the law and you fire him, they get a big payday. How does this promote fair practices in the workplace, and how cam employers stay in business carrying deadbeat ladron employees.
This again is another deterrent for an outsider to setup shop here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So you say when they put the Knozzle back it doent end the cycle?
Evidently not always, because once I was over charged and the nozzle was in the pump slot before he started to pump my gas. The attendant was not at the pump when I pulled up to the pump.

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
Get out of the car and actually stand there to ensure that the pump is set to ZERO. If you know the pump attendant make sure he shows you the pump is reset. At least, roll down your window and let them know you are checking. If you are not going to check them, they are going to beat you. It is that simple.