Student housing

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We are looking at my daughter going to college in Santiago. We are considering moving to the North Coast. What are the housing options for a single girl going to college in Santiago?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why North Coast?

We are looking at my daughter going to college in Santiago. We are considering moving to the North Coast. What are the housing options for a single girl going to college in Santiago?
How about you all moving to Stgo.?
HB will tell you all its advantages... :bunny:

donP

May 29, 2006
She can look into US study abroad programs. There are several where she would be homestaying in Santiago with a local family. I don't know about Education as a focus, but some intensive work in Spanish would be a great resume builder if that is what she is interested in. My sister in law works as a teacher in DC and half her class speaks Spanish as their first language.

The beach in Cabarete is a bit nicer than Sosua, but there is more of an ex-pat community in Sosua and it is easier to meet people there.

May 29, 2006
Cabarete is about 5 miles father down the road from Sosua from the airport. It is a kite-boarding/wind surfing Mecca. The main downside with Sosua beach is you get hassled by the vendors trying to sell you junk. Cabarete is much bigger and open while Sosua is shaded by trees.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Is that Santo Domingo?

You say you want to be close to the ocean which is great but do you want small touristy style beach towns or a larger city style infrastructure.
Sorry didnt pickup on your reason for the move-retirement? work?

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We prefer a more country setting; we don't want to be 'isolated' but we don't want the city. Moving for health reasons, retired military with 2 kids 13 & 17. A solid church is a must also. Thanks

May 29, 2006
Maybe Costambar? It is right near Puerta Plata but has a small town feel to it. Not really that touristy compared to Sosua or Cabarete. Kind of a gated community really. I don't know about churches there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell your husband he is a goof!! You give up a lot to be at the beach! No really great heath facilities, no really good schools, nothing beyond the beach, really.

An hour's drive to the water is a no brainer. It seems to me that you might want to come down here...as we always say, and rent for a few months and check things out..

There are lots of options...it is a big place and you won't get the 'little island" blues...
We go from big mountains, to desert, to tropical rain forests, to cloud forests, to piney woods, to lush farmlands...to high valleys and rushing rivers...it is really an amazing place.

As far as student housing is concerned, as I mentioned before, there are numerous places where the university can help you place your child and have no worries...Do you know what she wants to study?

Cordially,

HB

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
If I had a nickel for every time I told my husband he was a goof...... We are indeed planning on coming down for a while. Thank you so much for your honest and encouraging replies. She would either like education because she wants to work with the orphans and underprivileged kids, or go into mental health for the same reason. His idea is to sell our house here in the States and rent down there and see what happens. My only reservation with this is that I don't like the idea of uprooting my son (13) every 6 months.