Where to buy Prepaid SIM card / Puerto Plata

riko44

Mar 8, 2010
I will be staying at Puerto Plata (hotel Hotel Grand Oasis Marien ) arriving at Gregorio Luper?n Airport (Puerto Plata) airport.
Location -
+19? 46' 41.35", -70? 39' 31.0 - Google Maps

My cell phone roaming is $2/min, so I would like to buy a local prepaid SIM card, mostly for calls to/from US. I am only concerned about voice calls, no data needed.

I do have unlocked quad band GSM phone. From what I understand there are 3 GSM provider in the country ? Orange, Viva and Claro

Please advise where I can buy prepaid card in the airport or around hotel without too much hassle. I don?t really want to spend ? of my vacation day in a search for a sim card J
Does it have to be authorized store or any convenience store sell sim-card ? Do I need any documents to buy it ? Will they take USD or DR pesos are required?
What is the average price of the starter package and how many minutes/RD$ are normally included in the starter package?

I don?t speak Spanish except for few words, so any ?keywords? to help to complete the transaction would be appreciated (I can manage to say ?Tengo que comprar tarjeta de prepago ? )

Any recommendations for the specific company / plan are welcome (I will need a phone for 5 days) maybe 100+/- minutes.

Thanks a lot !

Sorry if these questions have been already answered ( i did some serach , but didnt find specific answers)

DRLover1

Dec 7, 2007
You can buy one from the Orange shop in La sirena which is around 10 minutes from your hotel i think and get your credit whilst your there, as above you need your passport :)

riko44

Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the answer !...

Just to clarify ... Is it 10 min drive or 10 min walk ? Also wondering which way .. ?

You can buy one from the Orange shop in La sirena which is around 10 minutes from your hotel i think and get your credit whilst your there, as above you need your passport :)

DRLover1

Dec 7, 2007
I would take a taxi if i was you but if you want directions walking PM me. If you ask a taxi driver to take you to La Sirena they will know where to go. As you enter La sirena supermarket take a left walk towards the dominos and the orange shop is on your right. Claro is next door to (not sure if one is cheaper than the other!) It will take less than 10 minutes in a taxi. :)

Jan 22, 2010
When you arrive exactly.

I still have a Claro sim card which I am currently not using so I could borrow you the sim, you just have to buy prepaid cards
PM if you are interested...

T.E

;)

riko44

Mar 8, 2010
Thanks everyone for the help !

I just got back from POP and I wanted to give an update ?

Eventually I bought prepaid Orange Sim-Card at ?La Sirena? supermarket .. (they also had Claro shop, but Orange was simply closer :laugh: )
?Starter? package costs RD200 (US$6) which includes roughly RD130 (US$4) of talk time. I also bough additional RD200 calling card.
Rates to US/Canada are the same as local calls to DR! It looks like rate with all taxes is about RD9 (US$0.25) / minute. I find it quite attractive comparing to roaming.
They indeed do ask for a passport.

The only problem of this whole transaction is price of Taxi ride from my hotel to Puerto Plata. They asked RD1000 for 2way trip. We made a deal at RD800/rt (US$23) which still seems to be quite expensive for a 10 minutes ride in a 3rd world country.
That?s probably not very economical if the ride is for the sim-card alone, but I combined with self-guided walking city tour, so it worked ok!
PS Approximate location of La Sirena supermarket

19.795550, -70.684417
+19? 47' 43.98", -70? 41' 3.90"
19.795550, -70.684417 - Google Maps

PPS They also have some cigars and Rum with _POSTED_ prices :)