WTF is up with electricity.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
We are not having any major outtages but the bill has gone from about 1,200 pesos per month to over 10,000 pesos!!! Alost 1,000% increase.

I have lived in the same building for 3 years but changed apartments in october, same building different apartment. In the 3 previous years we never paid more than 1500 pesos.

First month in the new place was 3,000 and change, 2nd month 7,000 and change, 3rd month 7,000 and change, february 10,000 and change.

I have heard similar reports from others in Gazcue. I went to the office today and after getting treated like **** by the flunkies spoke to the manager. He was useless. All he said was on their end all is well, but I have a problem in the apartment. WTF what problem could cause electricity usage to go up 1,000% ?

Is someone robbing my electricity? The guy says even if they are I need to pay the bill.
I am sure this is somehow related to their deficit in paying their bills, but passing it onto one of the small percantage that pay. . .. .is just nuts.

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
its all part of the fun.

sometimes they average your cost over several months, ie they underbill one month and overbill later to catch up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
get the electrician to check your meter, maybe one of your neighbours has AC on full blast at your cost.

Feb 7, 2007
That's why JD, I and others always say ... read your meter every day, read your meter every day...
did I say, READ YOUR METER EVERY DAY!
Btw my 2-yea log of meter readings has just recently helped me a lot with Protecom, when Edeste alleged my meter was burnt and hit me with a "normalization" charge.

Turn all breakers off in your APT. Is the meter still running? If so, somebody is hooked up at your expense.

Reactions: Keith R

T809

Mar 8, 2010
my bill is always 700-1000 in santo domingo but i rarely run AC and don't use a dryer or dishwasher. i think the whole building is leeching off you haha

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
has anyone actually gotten a refund/won against EDESUR/EDENORTE, etc??

we've done various disputes over the years and always lost.

Feb 7, 2007
has anyone actually gotten a refund/won against EDESUR/EDENORTE, etc??

we've done various disputes over the years and always lost.

Yes I did win against EdeEste, PROTECOM ruled against them in my case, total RD$808 (which was the invoice for "normalization") because they claimed my meter was burnt (which it was not) and after they denied my complaint in EdeEste, I took it to PROTECOM, with a 5-page complaint which looked and felt like a lawsuit ;)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Edesur has a couple different rates that they charge at ( I assume depending on the sector you live in or if they think you can pay more, whos knows their reasoning). Dont have a factura here with me but I think on the bill it says bts-1 or bts 2... Something to that effect... If you're charged the first one youre lucky, if charged the second youre screwed...

I was paying 10,000+ in my apartment in Las Praderas. Moved to San Geronimo (one sector over) and am now paying 800-1000 a month with the same or more electricity usage (2 ACs and 1 computer on almost 24/7). I was almost certain that my neighbors were stealing my electricity until I finally moved and realized that it was just Edesuck stealing my money.

This country is a joke...

T809

Mar 8, 2010
i don't think the sector or who you are matters too much, i was in the malecon center (one of the nicest areas of santo domingo) and mine was only 700-1000 a month but rarely using AC

Feb 7, 2007
Edesur has a couple different rates that they charge at ( I assume depending on the sector you live in or if they think you can pay more, whos knows their reasoning). Dont have a factura here with me but I think on the bill it says bts-1 or bts 2... Something to that effect... If you're charged the first one youre lucky, if charged the second youre screwed...

I was paying 10,000+ in my apartment in Las Praderas. Moved to San Geronimo (one sector over) and am now paying 800-1000 a month with the same or more electricity usage (2 ACs and 1 computer on almost 24/7).

This country is a joke...

BTS-1 is a residential rate tier.
BTS-2 is a commercial rate tier.

At my house I have BTS-1, at the office BTS-2.

Some apartment buildings/condos have BTS-2 because they are considered commercial development. The total difference in invoiced amounts under the same kWh usage is about 25% more for BTS-2 compared to BTS-1. So a drop from 10k to 1k invoice would NOT be attributed to the different rate tier, but rather... the non-existence of illegal hookups to your delivery point in the new place.

I was almost certain that my neighbors were stealing my electricity until I finally moved and realized that it was just Edesuck stealing my money.

Well, it were the neighbors, not EdeSur....

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Noooo...

Do not connect a genny to a live power line, unless, you like explosions.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes Edesur are criminals

They steal with no logic or reason and just pullout the dumbminican card when you call to complain. How can you reason with people who have no logic and feel theft is not a crime, rather biz as usual.

After 6 months of the same use on my part in Bella Vista, bills have slowly crept up from 1800-2250. So of course now as they feel they can get away with it- my new bill is 4500 pesos!! They hit you with the double.
Maranzini talks big about the guilty who steal electricty will be punished- but what about the innocent law obiding types who they(EDESUR) steals from.
How does he explain this???

rvancil

Feb 2, 2009
We recently purchased a new apartment in Mirador Norte and had our own little fun run around with the Edesur people. It all comes down to what category they put you into, they tried to put us into the higher tier commercial rate level which would have meant a bill over $10k RD a month, plus they wanted a $60,000 peso deposit!! We begged and pleaded with the person at Edesur to move us down to the lower tier, finally, with a little 'convincing' she agreed to talk to her manager and she actually did get us moved down to the lower rate, which also due to some special they were running required NO deposit...sweet! Got our first bill and with ac running all night every night the bill was a whopping $1500 pesos...The system can work for you if you know how to manipulate it correctly;)