Travelling on a one way ticket

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I am a Canadian citizen who does not hold Dominican residency.

Am I able to travel into the country on a one way ticket? I will be visiting in April for three weeks possibly a month. If I am able to find work I would like to stay.

Thanks,

curlyq

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
From What I have heard it's ok.

The departing country sometimes asks to see a ticket and if this happens you buy a refundable ticket to go somewhere.

When you land in the DR they don't ask

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
You could probably get a charter return flight for 3 to 4 hundred bucks. Ditch the return. One way would cost you at least double that.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I have flown with West Jet from Toronto on a one way ticket to the DR many times. Never had a problem and never been asked for a return ticket.

BilldeBurgh

Jan 26, 2010
I've had some good deals looking up aircanada.ca, using "lowest fare" as search criterion.

And, of course, Immigration doesn't care upon arriving. They'll nail you for taxes and penalties on the way out if you blow your tourist visa time limit.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks.

I will be flying out of Toronto on Westjet, they have a seat sale now.

I have heard conflicting stories about DR immigration possibly asking for a return date, that's why I am concerned. Don't want to run onto any problems. What about immigration in Toronto....any problems there?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is ZERO chance of Immigration asking for a return ticket.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
buy a one way ticket online

check in online before you go or at the kiosk in the airport.

you just show id to check your luggage.

no one will ask for your return ticket

immigration in DR will be more interested in your single status than anything else!
smile lots and off you go

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks.

I will be flying out of Toronto on Westjet, they have a seat sale now.

I have heard conflicting stories about DR immigration possibly asking for a return date, that's why I am concerned. Don't want to run onto any problems. What about immigration in Toronto....any problems there?

Flew in yesterday from Montreal via Toronto. Both my wife and myself had one way tickets. They ask "Imigration card" how long would our stay be. We put down 14 days. BTW WestJet is the BEST. I heard they will be flying to POP all year long. Great news. I just love their baggage policy. 144 lbs free per person and we had it all. LOL

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks guys for all your insight on this. In the end I booked my ticket with my aeroplan miles so I saved that way. But next time I will definately consider the one way ticket.

curlyq

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
always cheaper to buy a return ticket anyway, and if all goes "pete tong" you have another ticket to get back home.

Logical thinking.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Can you buy charter tickets out?

When I was first living in the DR (almost 10 years ago now) I remember friends (who worked as destination reps) complaining about how it sucked that you could no longer buy a last minute charter (say WestJet) ticket out of the DR (back to Canada) anymore after some new law had come in to "protect" the major airlines.

Does anyone know if you can do this now? Buy a WestJet ticket one way out of the DR?

Thanks
Tig

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When I was first living in the DR (almost 10 years ago now) I remember friends (who worked as destination reps) complaining about how it sucked that you could no longer buy a last minute charter (say WestJet) ticket out of the DR (back to Canada) anymore after some new law had come in to "protect" the major airlines.

Does anyone know if you can do this now? Buy a WestJet ticket one way out of the DR?

Thanks
Tig

Yes WestJet Home
But very expensive this time of year,

Noir

Feb 10, 2010
i had the same question too about that but i am flying in from greece..i was planning on buying a ticket that shows i am leaving DR(to puerto rico for example) instead of booking return flight.But from what i read here I should just go like this?