where to buy henna

BahiaDreamer

Dec 27, 2009
Does anyone know where I can buy henna powder in or around Sosua?

I'm not familiar with all the landmarks and places in the area but if I know the name and/or location, I can get there. Ideally, I'd like to find a henna source closer than Puerto Plata.

(I know the forum search engine is my friend but my friend couldn't find what I needed this time). ;)

Thanks!

BahiaDreamer

Dec 27, 2009
still looking for henna ... rephrase question

try asking a henna artist where they buy theirs, theres plenty in sosua.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Okay ... does anyone know where I can find a henna artist, then? I've used nearly every possible combination of search terms, and a few of the results point to Sosua Bay Resort. It seems the hotel phones aren't answered, however.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Henna? Isn't it hair color? If so you'll find it in all big superstores like La Sirena, Jumbo, etc in the hair product section.

BahiaDreamer

Dec 27, 2009
Thank you for your replies.

Henna? Isn't it hair color? If so you'll find it in all big superstores like La Sirena, Jumbo, etc in the hair product section.
Yes, Juanita, henna powder can be used to color hair, but it's one of those things that isn't sold in the aisle where you would find other, pre-packaged brands (e.g., Loreal, etc.).

I've never seen pure henna powder on sale in those places, though.
I've shopped at La Sirena. I've never seen pure henna powder there, either.

maybe check with some of the local hair salons?
I've gone door-to-door to about eight salons and most don't know what I'm looking for and/or don't perform that kind of service. I think it's because using henna for hair color takes a long time ... prep time could take several hours, application could take another several hours even overnight. I'm not a beautician, but I figure salons are more interested in providing hair color treatments that can be done during one visit to the salon.

Thanks, all ... I just continue my search but I'll probably just have to order online and hope it arrives someday. Thanks, again!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what kind of places sell henna in europe/america?
maybe try the same kind of businesses here - pharmacies, beauty supply stores?

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
Also try the natural health stores, and if none of these dont work, try locating the henna plant from a plant retailer, if none of this works your next question should be where can i get the plant Lawsonia inermis?

and making your own mix, its quite easy.

May 29, 2006
I would try at the cosmetics counter at the Playero or in the back corners of Productos Sosua in the Chinese import section. I bet it is there somewhere in small ornate cardboard boxes.

I wonder if anyone is doing mendi in the tourist zones...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have seen the guy at bar Central in Sosua doing hanna art on people, maybe you could ask him to sell you some, if he is still around there.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I will check for the name next time I visit Sirena but I have seen the powder stuff, that you mix with water and looks like mud....

the box looks "kind of" this one but not the same...
quinquinahg.jpg