K1 Visa Interview Experience..re Immigration to USA

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I posted a similar version of this on DTTUSA but thought it might be helpful to those looking for US visa interview experiences here on DR1 as well.

========

We had our K-1 visa inteview this morning and were approved.

Our appointment was for 6:00 am. We arrived at 5:45 am. In my opinion, there is no need to go earlier- stay in and sleep the extra minutes! The line was long but orderly, and I was impressed by the embassy employees who kept people in line and refused to allow "cuts."

We went through security and were seated in the waiting area around 6:45.

Around 7:30 we were called to the first window to leave off my significant other's (SO) paperwork.

We sat back down and around 8:30 they called us to window 13 for his fingerprinting.

Finally, around 9:15 we were called to the window for our interview. The consular officer was an American woman, spoke decent Spanish. She asked me if I preferred English or Spanish, and I said it didn't matter, we are fluent in both. She spoke to me in English and my SO in Spanish.

She asked me the following questions (in English):
1. When and where did you meet SO?
2. What did he do for his job when you met him?
3. How did you meet the mutual friend that introduced you?
4. When did you start dating?
5. Has he been to the US to meet your family?
6. Are you living together now? Do you have a lease in both of your names? [At the time of application, I was living in Santo Domingo and we lived together.]

She asked my SO the following, in Spanish:
1. Como y donde se conocieron?
2. Cuando comenzaron la relacion romantica?
3. Has viajado a los EEUU una vez?
4. Tienes familia en los EEUU? (Quien y donde vive.)

(I don't know if she knew my SO speaks perfect Canadian English, thanks to having spent a chunk of his childhood there. Seemed to defeat the "gotcha" purpose to ask us the same questions in front of each other to compare answers, but since it worked in our favor, I won't worry too much about it.)

She asked to see our evidence. We had the following:
1. Pictures of us together, and with each others' families.
2. Printouts of IM chats and Skype calls.
3. Cards from Christmas and birthday gifts.
4. Receipts from Amazon.com for gifts.

She really didn't look at the pictures we had, she just wanted to see that we had them.

What I thought was strange is that not once did they look at my affidavit of financial support! The packet I had prepared with my employer letter, bank statements, tax returns, was never once looked at by anyone.

What I got most out of the interview is that she had clearly read our packet and knew what questions she was going to ask ahead of time. Some of the questions seemed scripted, others were very specific to what we had written in our original application. In other words, she had done her homework.

All in all, the interview itself took less than 5 minutes! It was very anti-climatic and easy. Just hope the rest of the process is as smooth!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Congratulations and thanks for the info.

So what comes yet? Maybe you can fill us in for future reference

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Congratulations and thanks for the info.

So what comes yet? Maybe you can fill us in for future reference

Las,

Great news!! Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the successful process.

Thanks!

SO left his passport at the Embassy, as required. It will be delivered by DOMEX to his place in 1 - 2 weeks. After arriving in the US we have 90 days to get married.

After that we begin the Adjustment of Status (AOS) process. I've been so focused on just getting the visa that I haven't really mentally grasped what comes next!

I know that depending on his port of entry he can get a temporary employment authorization if he asks for it upon passing through immigration. Otherwise, he will file for that, along with a social security number, as soon as we are legally married.

Once we file the AOS, he will have a biometrics appointment and then we both have a final interview to make sure we have a real marriage. :) In theory, we then get the green card.

I'll update as we go through the process- in theory, the K-1 visa is quicker than other US residency visas. Hope it's true!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
LAS - congratulations on your approval! I can’t wait for my turn as I am preparing for our interview next week. (whats your handle on DTTUSA?)

Regarding the post that the K1 Visa is faster I will like to add that this is not the case for everyone. The CR1 visa is cheaper, has more benefits and seems to be going even faster than the K1 recently. In my case I got a cita within 6 months of starting my process.

The benefits of a CR1 outweigh the speed even if one got the interview faster with the K1. With a CR1 Visa, the person gets his or her greencard instead of a one-way visa to the USA. Once the person arrives he or she will be able to live a full term resident life in the States (i.e. work, get a driver’s license, and travel back to DR if necessary). And lastly, you will save over $1,000 (I think more) than the K1 process.

I thought I’d add this info to this thread in case someone else was looking for info on the differences or benefits of both visas for a Significant Other (SO). I was glad I read up on the info before we started our process too.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
LAS - congratulations on your approval! I can?t wait for my turn as I am preparing for our interview next week. (whats your handle on DTTUSA?)

Regarding the post that the K1 Visa is faster I will like to add that this is not the case for everyone. The CR1 visa is cheaper, has more benefits and seems to be going even faster than the K1 recently. In my case I got a cita within 6 months of starting my process.

The benefits of a CR1 outweigh the speed even if one got the interview faster with the K1. With a CR1 Visa, the person gets his or her greencard instead of a one-way visa to the USA. Once the person arrives he or she will be able to live a full term resident life in the States (i.e. work, get a driver?s license, and travel back to DR if necessary). And lastly, you will save over $1,000 (I think more) than the K1 process.

I thought I?d add this info to this thread in case someone else was looking for info on the differences or benefits of both visas for a Significant Other (SO). I was glad I read up on the info before we started our process too.

Yes, this is what I have heard too- AFTER we began the K1 process, of course!

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
TallDrink thanks for BRINGING up that the K1 visa process might not be the best solution for everyone and that the CR1 might work out better for some.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I heard from so many people that the K1 is such a nightmare some times. At least in comparison to the CR1 - which is no walk in the park. If you are organized and stay on top of it, it can be done with no problem.

KikoPresidente

Mar 20, 2009
Excuse my ignorance, but could someone expound on the type of visa that is being referred to as a: CR1
I would be intrested in learing more about it.

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
I posted a similar version of this on DTTUSA but thought it might be helpful to those looking for US visa interview experiences here on DR1 as well.

========

We had our K-1 visa inteview this morning and were approved.

Our appointment was for 6:00 am. We arrived at 5:45 am. In my opinion, there is no need to go earlier- stay in and sleep the extra minutes! The line was long but orderly, and I was impressed by the embassy employees who kept people in line and refused to allow "cuts."

We went through security and were seated in the waiting area around 6:45.

Around 7:30 we were called to the first window to leave off my significant other's (SO) paperwork.

We sat back down and around 8:30 they called us to window 13 for his fingerprinting.

Finally, around 9:15 we were called to the window for our interview. The consular officer was an American woman, spoke decent Spanish. She asked me if I preferred English or Spanish, and I said it didn't matter, we are fluent in both. She spoke to me in English and my SO in Spanish.

She asked me the following questions (in English):
1. When and where did you meet SO?
2. What did he do for his job when you met him?
3. How did you meet the mutual friend that introduced you?
4. When did you start dating?
5. Has he been to the US to meet your family?
6. Are you living together now? Do you have a lease in both of your names? [At the time of application, I was living in Santo Domingo and we lived together.]

She asked my SO the following, in Spanish:
1. Como y donde se conocieron?
2. Cuando comenzaron la relacion romantica?
3. Has viajado a los EEUU una vez?
4. Tienes familia en los EEUU? (Quien y donde vive.)

(I don't know if she knew my SO speaks perfect Canadian English, thanks to having spent a chunk of his childhood there. Seemed to defeat the "gotcha" purpose to ask us the same questions in front of each other to compare answers, but since it worked in our favor, I won't worry too much about it.)

She asked to see our evidence. We had the following:
1. Pictures of us together, and with each others' families.
2. Printouts of IM chats and Skype calls.
3. Cards from Christmas and birthday gifts.
4. Receipts from Amazon.com for gifts.

She really didn't look at the pictures we had, she just wanted to see that we had them.

What I thought was strange is that not once did they look at my affidavit of financial support! The packet I had prepared with my employer letter, bank statements, tax returns, was never once looked at by anyone.

What I got most out of the interview is that she had clearly read our packet and knew what questions she was going to ask ahead of time. Some of the questions seemed scripted, others were very specific to what we had written in our original application. In other words, she had done her homework.

All in all, the interview itself took less than 5 minutes! It was very anti-climatic and easy. Just hope the rest of the process is as smooth!

Thanks for the information. I may have read this on DTTUSA. My fiancee and I are going through this same process. At this moment, I received a letter that our case has been sent to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo. I know the next step is for her to receive her packet of instructions to apply for her K1 Visa (packet 4). Can you give me an estimated time it will take for them to mail it (she lives in Puerto Plata)? It has been 3 weeks so far and still waiting.

Thanks

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for the information. I may have read this on DTTUSA. My fiancee and I are going through this same process. At this moment, I received a letter that our case has been sent to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo. I know the next step is for her to receive her packet of instructions to apply for her K1 Visa (packet 4). Can you give me an estimated time it will take for them to mail it (she lives in Puerto Plata)? It has been 3 weeks so far and still waiting.

Thanks

My fiance NEVER received his packet by mail. After receiving our NOA 2, he started calling the consulate to get an update of our case and to see when to expect an interview date. After 3 months after receiving the NOA2, we had no word. Finally, at the end of month 3, he called and found out that his interview date had already been scheduled for the next 4 weeks. He was told to wait for the packet to be delivered via mail until 2 weeks before his interview date- if it did not arrive by that time, he would have to go to the consulate and get the packet in person.

The packet never arrived by mail (he lived in Bella Vista, Santo Domingo) so he had to go in person.

My recommendation is to keep calling, since you can't rely on the mail system there.

Good luck.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Yes, keep calling and also check online with your SDO # cause your interview may be scheduled and you may not even know it.

DTTUSA gives you great info on what to do to get the package in case your GF doesnt receive it - which she may never get!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My fiance NEVER received his packet by mail. After receiving our NOA 2, he started calling the consulate to get an update of our case and to see when to expect an interview date. After 3 months after receiving the NOA2, we had no word. Finally, at the end of month 3, he called and found out that his interview date had already been scheduled for the next 4 weeks. He was told to wait for the packet to be delivered via mail until 2 weeks before his interview date- if it did not arrive by that time, he would have to go to the consulate and get the packet in person.

The packet never arrived by mail (he lived in Bella Vista, Santo Domingo) so he had to go in person.

My recommendation is to keep calling, since you can't rely on the mail system there.

I cannot believe that the consulate would send anything by DR Mail???? How can this be?

If they do, this explains how forgers get original documents (see this week's newspapaers) and such close forgeries!!

HB

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Yes, keep calling and also check online with your SDO # cause your interview may be scheduled and you may not even know it.

DTTUSA gives you great info on what to do to get the package in case your GF doesnt receive it - which she may never get!

Where on line can you check the status of your case? I get emails referring me to this: Welcome to ImmigrantVisas.State.Gov, but can't find anything there relating specifically to my case except the acknowledgement that they have received the fees.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
The CR1 allows you to petition your spouse and she can have a permanent resident card.

I know this is an older post, and the OP probably has this info. by now. But just in case anyone else needs to know, to be specific about the CR1 visa, it is for spouses who have been married less than two (2) years. After the two-year mark, you would be getting an IR1 visa (for those married 2 years or more).

Also, the CR1 is a conditional visa, meaning that you must adjust status after the period runs. An IR1 visa is a permanent, 10-year visa. No need to adjust status.