Aplatanando

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We're coming up on our 4 year anniversary here in the DR and I thought I'd share a few observations:

1. I now think of the ultimate breakfast to consist of yucca and fried pork chops.
2. When I go back to the States I no longer feel that I'm home, that would be in Santiago where my three daughters are.
3. I look forward to going out in town as I might meet an acquaintance and have a nice conversation. On the contrary, if I see an acquaintance back in the States anymore if they don't run and hide first they seem too busy to talk.
4. I can't stand the cold and I get a cold every time I come back from the States. I don't mind being a little bit on the sweaty side anymore, even when I go to bed. I seem to sleep better.
5. In spite of my many faux pauxs, I'm learning the cultural do's and don't here and a lot of it finally understand (not all though).
6. Compared to many Dominicans my Spanish is mediocre but anymore people don't seem to have a problem with it. Best is the "Dominican eye squint" is only used at a minimum.
7. I used to think the Appalachian mountains were the prettiest area I've seen but I've become fond of the Dominican countryside with it's green pastures, plantain and large palm trees.
8. Driving is still an adventure but I think I've adapted as well as anybody can, incl Dominicans. At least I'm getting better at not being personally offended when somebody pulls right in front of me unexpectedly.
9. Dominican politics makes me nauseous, but then again I don't feel so good anymore about the politics back in the States.
10. I've become accustomed to thinking this will be our final stop and that my girls may live here when they are adults (if that is what they want.)

Reactions: Black Dog

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
after nearly 4 years in DR:
1. i miss full english breakfast or at least nice sandwich on dark bread with cottage cheese
2. i call both DR and poland "home"
3. i hate going out to town as i might meet an acquaintance and be forced to have a pointless chat that wastes my time
4. i can't stand the heat and i miss four seasons; i feel sad that i have not seen snow in years
5. in spite of my many faux pauxs, i'm learning the cultural do's and don?ts here and a lot of it finally understand (not all though)
6. compared to many dominicans my spanish is mediocre but i am trying my best
7. i do not care about domican beaches - in 4 years i have been out to the beach less than 10 times; countryside is pretty but i miss beautiful landscapes of poland
8. driving is so stressful i avoid it at all costs, but then i only learnt how to drive about a year ago and i suck at it
9. dominican politics is funny and interesting unlike polish politics that rises my blood preasure instantly
10. i pray miesposo gets transfered to europe or at least america and i made him promise that in case i die here my body will be delivered to rest in peace in szczecin's cemetery

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
We're coming up on our 4 year anniversary here in the DR and I thought I'd share a few observations:

1. I now think of the ultimate breakfast to consist of yucca and fried pork chops.
2. When I go back to the States I no longer feel that I'm home, that would be in Santiago where my three daughters are.
3. I look forward to going out in town as I might meet an acquaintance and have a nice conversation. On the contrary, if I see an acquaintance back in the States anymore if they don't run and hide first they seem too busy to talk.
4. I can't stand the cold and I get a cold every time I come back from the States. I don't mind being a little bit on the sweaty side anymore, even when I go to bed. I seem to sleep better.
5. In spite of my many faux pauxs, I'm learning the cultural do's and don't here and a lot of it finally understand (not all though).
6. Compared to many Dominicans my Spanish is mediocre but anymore people don't seem to have a problem with it. Best is the "Dominican eye squint" is only used at a minimum.
7. I used to think the Appalachian mountains were the prettiest area I've seen but I've become fond of the Dominican countryside with it's green pastures, plantain and large palm trees.
8. Driving is still an adventure but I think I've adapted as well as anybody can, incl Dominicans. At least I'm getting better at not being personally offended when somebody pulls right in front of me unexpectedly.
9. Dominican politics makes me nauseous, but then again I don't feel so good anymore about the politics back in the States.
10. I've become accustomed to thinking this will be our final stop and that my girls may live here when they are adults (if that is what they want.)

Good to see that you sweat rice and beans. Let's get a flag and a bible & let's make this official!.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
From these two opposite posts, most people should gather that the Dominican Republic either makes or breaks you.

I look forward to seeing some more "tens". To see peoples outlook on life in the DR.

BR

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
After more than a decade, I consider DR home... Don?t miss anything from Europe... My only issue was the noise level, but I fixed it by relocating to a quiet area...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
to Chip.....:classic: good for you...

to dv8 ......:tired: sorry to hear that...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Like another poster already said...sorry to hear that.

1. i miss full english breakfast or at least nice sandwich on dark bread with cottage cheese

GROSSSS

2. i call both DR and poland "home"

Lived in The US for almost 20 years and still The DR is my HOME

3. i hate going out to town as i might meet an acquaintance and be forced to have a pointless chat that wastes my time

Pointless chat? It's called socializing...

4. i can't stand the heat and i miss four seasons; i feel sad that i have not seen snow in years

Can't stand the cold up here...wish for some heat. The cold just gets you depressed and has a major impact in your quality of life IMO

7. i do not care about domican beaches - in 4 years i have been out to the beach less than 10 times; countryside is pretty but i miss beautiful landscapes of poland

Didn't use to go the beach that often when I lived down there, now I long for one nearby

8. driving is so stressful i avoid it at all costs, but then i only learnt how to drive about a year ago and i suck at it

I think driving in The US is more stressful after worrying about getting a ticket for almost any little thing

10. i pray miesposo gets transfered to europe or at least america and i made him promise that in case i die here my body will be delivered to rest in peace in szczecin's cemetery

I pray I get transferred back home. You'll probably be buried in Sosua...

Reactions: drloca
Mar 1, 2009
Wow you guys are awesome! The noise is okay, my gf (she agree's with DV8) thinks it's too hot, she's french. I don't care. I live quietly but I am still a part timer so I still don't know if this is it. If it is, I want to be buried next to my older sister, who is buried here.

RIP. Altagracia Martinez, I luv u :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Nice thread Chip. I have been here around 10 years now and....

1. Breakfast is what it always was. A marlboro light and a cup of coffee. The only difference is that the cigarettes are cheaper and the coffee is better..
2. Was last in UK 3 years ago - but I can never imagine living there again. Too cold, too busy, too stressful, too unfriendly, too racist. Miss the food though!!!
3. In the UK never had unexpected visitors. Here by the time I wake up the garden is full of people. Can get on your nerves sometimes, but on the whole I much prefer the friendliness of people.
4. Love the weather - although it can get too hot in the summer. I wear long trousers all the time now - not like the first year or two when it was too hot.
5. Am now much more chilled about the time, and accept that 20 mins can be 2 hours. I don't expect people to turn up when they say they will, and it doesn't wind me up.
6. I speak Spanish day and night and even dream in it now. Still make mistakes though!!!
7. I love the mountains and the beaches, but hardly ever make it to either.
8. Have no worries with the driving - and drive a big truck!!
9. Don't get me started on politics, but if you don't like something then change it is what I say. Interestingly was reading a UK newspaper left for me the other day and was amazed how many pages there were just about the private lives and scandals of politicians. Refreshing that does not happen here.
10. Have become aplatanado in many things - but still dislike rice and beans, and will not throw rubbish out of the car window, spit in the street, drink malta morena, cook with far too much oil and salt, nor go to the doctor every 5 mins for '"analysis".

Matilda