Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default something very ugly is going on in SD

to solve the rabbis problem in the country, "they" started to poison the dogs in SD .... SP sigue el programa de envenenar perros - DiarioLibre.com

after reading that article i am asking myself if i am in the 21st century or in the middle age!

it is sooooo sad to see how animals are treated still in this country. for the people in charge the only solution to defeat rabbis; is poisoning the dogs..... no words left for such a cruel activity!
    sad - sad - sad!!!

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santa110xyz View Post
    to solve the rabbis problem in the country, "they" started to poison the dogs in SD .... SP sigue el programa de envenenar perros - DiarioLibre.com

after reading that article i am asking myself if i am in the 21st century or in the middle age!

it is sooooo sad to see how animals are treated still in this country. for the people in charge the only solution to defeat rabbis; is poisoning the dogs..... no words left for such a cruel activity!
    sad - sad - sad!!!
    In the US they poison rats, what's the difference?.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the difference is rather obvious. Generally speaking, rats are seldom pets, whereas dogs are.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And the dead dogs they do not take away.
    They are stinking on the streets.

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    I think the difference is rather obvious. Generally speaking, rats are seldom pets, whereas dogs are.
    Are you suggesting dogs are more deserving to live than rats?. You got my first vote to be knocked off this thread.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

But seriously, yes, I think dogs are more deserving than rats, but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

For a moment I thought this was about religious persecution, but then....

Carry on.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a sad situation but poisoning dogs has been the solution by gov't organizations and private business owners for a long time. There are several small private organizations in SD (PADELA, SODOPRECA, Doggie House) that try and collect animals from the street, sterilize them and either put them up for adoption or reintroduce them to the street. The problem is, these organizations do not have the funds to have a large impact on this problem.

There should be a city pound and it is really the responsibility of the city council to collect these dogs and take them to such a facility. They are then sterilized and put up for adoption. If they are not adopted then they are put to sleep humanely.

Obviously, this is the scenario in the US but we are in the Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, since so many public funds are mismanaged and stolen, services such as a public dog pound - a plus for the community - and countless other services can never be.

In the end, it's the residents - man and beast in this case- that suffer.

There was a good point made that a rat's life should not be valued more than a dogs. The difference in my mind is that controlling stray dog and cat populations on the streets can be done through sterilization campaigns and adoption campaigns. On the other hand, are we to sterilize rats so they do not reproduce? The only problem with that is, naturally, rats reproduce rapidly. Since they have no defenses against predators, their race is ensured by continuously reproducing. This cannot be managed.

Cat and dog populations can, and have been...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey the rabbis called and they are willing to surrender if we just stop poisoning the dogs.

OK jokes aside, this is an incredibly stupid solution to a stray dogs problem, aside from the humanitarian and public health considerations I can only guess how many legitimate pets will be inadvertently poisoned.

How hard would it be to put a couple dog catchers on the streets?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's disturbing to see how Dominicans (Latins in general) treat dogs, cats and other "domestic animals". But then look at the number of children begging in the streets...they let kids roam like rats

Last trip down I caught a local abusing a street dog for no reason...he told me it was "the culture"...so I imparted a bit of U.S. "pet owner" culture upon him..

the dog seemed to enjoy watching it...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast