something very ugly is going on in SD

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
to solve the rabbis problem in the country, "they" started to poison the dogs in SD .... SP sigue el programa de envenenar perros - DiarioLibre.com

after reading that article i am asking myself if i am in the 21st century or in the middle age!

it is sooooo sad to see how animals are treated still in this country. for the people in charge the only solution to defeat rabbis; is poisoning the dogs..... no words left for such a cruel activity!
sad - sad - sad!!!

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
to solve the rabbis problem in the country, "they" started to poison the dogs in SD .... SP sigue el programa de envenenar perros - DiarioLibre.com

after reading that article i am asking myself if i am in the 21st century or in the middle age!

it is sooooo sad to see how animals are treated still in this country. for the people in charge the only solution to defeat rabbis; is poisoning the dogs..... no words left for such a cruel activity!
sad - sad - sad!!!

In the US they poison rats, what's the difference?.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For a moment I thought this was about religious persecution, but then....

Carry on.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
This is a sad situation but poisoning dogs has been the solution by gov't organizations and private business owners for a long time. There are several small private organizations in SD (PADELA, SODOPRECA, Doggie House) that try and collect animals from the street, sterilize them and either put them up for adoption or reintroduce them to the street. The problem is, these organizations do not have the funds to have a large impact on this problem.

There should be a city pound and it is really the responsibility of the city council to collect these dogs and take them to such a facility. They are then sterilized and put up for adoption. If they are not adopted then they are put to sleep humanely.

Obviously, this is the scenario in the US but we are in the Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, since so many public funds are mismanaged and stolen, services such as a public dog pound - a plus for the community - and countless other services can never be.

In the end, it's the residents - man and beast in this case- that suffer.

There was a good point made that a rat's life should not be valued more than a dogs. The difference in my mind is that controlling stray dog and cat populations on the streets can be done through sterilization campaigns and adoption campaigns. On the other hand, are we to sterilize rats so they do not reproduce? The only problem with that is, naturally, rats reproduce rapidly. Since they have no defenses against predators, their race is ensured by continuously reproducing. This cannot be managed.

Cat and dog populations can, and have been...

Reactions: mike l

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hey the rabbis called and they are willing to surrender if we just stop poisoning the dogs.

OK jokes aside, this is an incredibly stupid solution to a stray dogs problem, aside from the humanitarian and public health considerations I can only guess how many legitimate pets will be inadvertently poisoned.

How hard would it be to put a couple dog catchers on the streets?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
It's disturbing to see how Dominicans (Latins in general) treat dogs, cats and other "domestic animals". But then look at the number of children begging in the streets...they let kids roam like rats

Last trip down I caught a local abusing a street dog for no reason...he told me it was "the culture"...so I imparted a bit of U.S. "pet owner" culture upon him..

the dog seemed to enjoy watching it...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Dogged by doubt

For a moment I thought this was about religious persecution, but then....

Carry on.

My first thought was if they are going after rabbis why are they leaving the priests alone; or the ministers, especially those in real estate; and what about the odd imam or two?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's disturbing to see how Dominicans (Latins in general) treat dogs, cats and other "domestic animals". But then look at the number of children begging in the streets...they let kids roam like rats

Last trip down I caught a local abusing a street dog for no reason...he told me it was "the culture"......

This is the truly sad part. There is a culture of cruelty and it extends to all manner of animals, children, invalids, the elderly and low level employees.

I was lounging at my hotel atrium in SD one afternoon having a vino tinto and smoking a cigar when the manager of the bar walked one of the bus staff to the adjoining courtyard and very loudly berated him, ocassionaly slapping the guy across the face, very loudly. The recipient was scared to death of losing his job so he just stood there and took it.

Apparently there's some kind of "Jim Crowe" system in place there where the poor have no rights where their "superiors" are concerned. Yeah, if I was to raise a flag about cruelty to animals in the DR I'd probably start with the street children. The country's greatest natural resource (its children) is being woefully neglected and the problems associated with poverty will regenerate until this practice stops.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is the truly sad part. There is a culture of cruelty and it extends to all manner of animals, children, invalids, the elderly and low level employees.

I was lounging at my hotel atrium in SD one afternoon having a vino tinto and smoking a cigar when the manager of the bar walked one of the bus staff to the adjoining courtyard and very loudly berated him, ocassionaly slapping the guy across the face, very loudly. The recipient was scared to death of losing his job so he just stood there and took it.

Apparently there's some kind of "Jim Crowe" system in place there where the poor have no rights where their "superiors" are concerned. Yeah, if I was to raise a flag about cruelty to animals in the DR I'd probably start with the street children. The country's greatest natural resource (its children) is being woefully neglected and the problems associated with poverty will regenerate until this practice stops.

Say waattt?? Slapped him? THAT I've never seen or heard of. Mayvbe talking down to the employee, but slapping him and he just taking it. Did you know that slapping a Dominican in front of people is akin to the worst thing you could ever do and typically the retaliation involves some major bodily harm or even death for the slapper.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I seem to be the only one to catch the late news last night, where they reported a new project of collection sterilization and release.

As far as cruelty to animals goes,,,, this is an international problem, and in my opinion no worse here than anywhere else in the world. The majority of people here have a live and let live attitude with the few who have very little to enjoy life for finding entertainment in humiliating and harming any animal that is daft enough to put trust into humans. I have seen far worse things in US, UK, Europe than I have here.

Disrespecting employees is something that I have never witnessed get to a physical exchange, verbal yes. I can not imagine any Dominican man taking a slap across the face, unless he was one of the drunks we have all seen making a manace of themselves. From my experience here, nothing ever oversteps the mark to physical exchange unless it is worth losing a hand or being permanently marked for.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I seem to be the only one to catch the late news last night, where they reported a new project of collection sterilization and release.

May I ask who is doing this "new project"? I've been volunteering and helping out with stray animals for 4 years now in Santo Domingo and the city council always tells us they have a "new project" in the works.

You are totally right in saying this is an international problem not focused on just the DR. That does not mean that we should not find an intelligent and humane solution to the problem.

I cannot speak for Europe but I never saw the animal cruelty in the US that I do here. The condition in which some dogs arrive at the shelter is terrible. And it's not the dogs that have it the worse here, it's the horses.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am not sure who is responsible for this, maybe you can flick through the local papers online, I am sure it will be in one of them. My Spanishican catches the general gist on TV only, I can get lost if I try to take it all in.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets sell the street dogs to china.They eat them there, right?
Nothing goes to waste.
AZB

Apr 3, 2009
Poison the Pooches!

sad - sad - sad!!!
Thank goodness!!! These mutts are the "rats" of the Caribbean. They're big, dangerous, and now they have rabies. I hope the DR can wipe them all out.

-BB :bunny: