Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: canadian lving in DR..need info

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default canadian lving in DR..need info

Hey I've been living here for about 6 months now and something just occurred to me, and yes, I know, I should have thought of this before, BUT, I need to know, since I am not in Canada, does anyone need to know if I have to let anyone know in the gov. over there of my absence?
    I am working here in a call center and am wondering if when I get back am going to be asked to pay any taxes on what I earn here or anything like that, I have NO IDEA on this stuff so any feedback would be great. THANKS!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In Canada they do not know what you are earning in a bananacountry

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

my question is, when/if I go back, will I be asked why I havent paid taxes? or how did I make a living overseas? these might seem like dumb questions, but I dont know the answers haha

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's the same as the UK you should let the IRS or, whatever they're called in Canada, know that you are no longer resident there and probably will have a form to complete. You never know, you might even get a rebate in Canada!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

the answer depends on your personal situation... you would need to check with Canada Revenue or a fiscalist but if you have assets in Canada (such as a house), your worldwide income is taxable... if you have no assets and have signed the proper form with the CR, then you may not be required to file with Canada...but I think there is a minimum period of time that you need to plan to be away (3 yrs?). If not, you file your income tax deduct the taxes already paid in your country of residence and pay the difference (or receive a refund)... You will need to investigate based on your own circumstances...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need to file income tax

Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    the answer depends on your personal situation... you would need to check with Canada Revenue or a fiscalist but if you have assets in Canada (such as a house), your worldwide income is taxable... if you have no assets and have signed the proper form with the CR, then you may not be required to file with Canada...but I think there is a minimum period of time that you need to plan to be away (3 yrs?). If not, you file your income tax deduct the taxes already paid in your country of residence and pay the difference (or receive a refund)... You will need to investigate based on your own circumstances...
    As a canadian you need to file income tax annually whether or not you are a resident or a non resident. Even if your income reads 0. You are required to file.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylindr View Post
    As a canadian you need to file income tax annually whether or not you are a resident or a non resident. Even if your income reads 0. You are required to file.
    This is the requirement for an American Citizen. Canada is different. Yes if you are a Canadian resident and living there for at least 6 months of the year, you are deemed a Canadian resident, and therefore must claim worldwide income. If you are now claiming to be a Non resident for tax purposes, you will not be required to file income tax yearly, but yes there is a period of about a year to clean up your situation and inform CCRA of your new non residence.
    If you plan to visit Canada frequently and stay on medical and keep memberships, assets etc. They may still deem you resident although you are not living there. Its done on a one to one basis if and when you return. But is not based on Nationality like the USA.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Not true Expat - everyone in US does NOT have to file an income tax return. There IS a minimum earned income that requires a return. The last several years of my mother's life her only income was social security and she fell under the minimum = no return.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    This is the requirement for an American Citizen. Canada is different. Yes if you are a Canadian resident and living there for at least 6 months of the year, you are deemed a Canadian resident, and therefore must claim worldwide income. If you are now claiming to be a Non resident for tax purposes, you will not be required to file income tax yearly, but yes there is a period of about a year to clean up your situation and inform CCRA of your new non residence.
    If you plan to visit Canada frequently and stay on medical and keep memberships, assets etc. They may still deem you resident although you are not living there. Its done on a one to one basis if and when you return. But is not based on Nationality like the USA.
    I am a candian expat and you need to file taxes regardless or status. either as a resident or non resident. they don't give non residency easily and there is a form you can fill and and get a ruling... but you need to do it often as they can change their mind and not bother informing you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go!
    International and Non-resident Taxes
    You've gotta love google!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast