Bread Flour needed Urgent !!!!

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Hi All hope somebody can help
We own a small Cafe/Bakery on the north coast,at the moment NO supermarkets have got any bread flour.
I spent yesterday in Santiago looking in all the stores for it to no avail.
It has to be Bread flour this is the only one that we can use for Bagels.

Does anybody know where i might get some? or anyplace we can buy it in bulk,
Thanks in advance
Sue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we normally buy GOLD MEDAL BETTER FOR BREAD flour for our bread. it is very good and all stores in POP have it. are you saying no place on the north coast has at the moment it or you are using different flour?
you can also try popping to any larger bakery in POP like san jorge and asking if they can sell you flour. worth a shot.

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Thanks DV8 yes thats the one we use, and there is just none to be had anywhere,
That is a good idea thank you,we had asked a smaller bakery but they just use general use,failing that can you buy gluton here ?
Sue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
crap :( we only have one or two bags left ourselves and i hoped to get some this weekend.
gluten is gluten in spanish as well and i have never looked for it, sorry :(
def try san jorge and the bakery close to tropical and la sirena, right next to isla gas station.
local flour brand "la princessa" also makes flour bread - not the pre-sieved all purpose one but the one that is thick and grainy. i do not know it is is available in retail thou...

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I have seen it at Playero also, but I am not sure if they have it in at the moment.
Assuming you find your flour, where are you selling your bagels??? We've been living on the frozen variety, but a fresh bagel sounds like a great treat.
Good luck!

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Thank you all for your help, i now have directions to the place in Sosua so willkeep my fingers crossed.
Thank you all for the pm messages
If anybody sees it will you please post on here for me.
Or pm me so nodody else gets there first lol
Sue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sue, miesposo just suggested almacenos close to mercado nuevo - it is in the city center. just ask if you need more directions. there are few almacenos (wholesale) in that area that sell flour by pounds - maybe you can find dominican bread flour there.
good luck!

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Thanks DV8
Directions would be great thank you so much,we have tried every supermarket for miles, i guess a wholeseller would be a better idea for the amount that we use

Sue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know street names so just general directions from costambar: from manolo tavarez justo turn left towards caribe tours.
just pass the station turn right, you will start going up the hill in the direction of jose luis. go to the top of the hill, you will pass la pulga (flee market) on your left.
at the very top of the hill there are lights (straight to jose luis, right to the prison), turn left there.
the street will go down now. drive straight and you will see mercado nuevo in front of you, slightly to the left. there will be one street to the left passing right in front of the market, one street to the right towards the city and one straight towards the malecon.
go straight, the biggest almacen there is on the left, just 20 meters down the road.

there is also an almacen close to costambar, opposite the university. i would have to ask miesposo for details.

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Thank you all for your help,We have now found a supply for bread flour right on our doorstep.
Thanks to Reiner from R&B bakery Costambar help was much nearer than we thought

Sue