Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An eviction in Dajabon

un desalojo tipo rambo

un desalojo tipo rambo

This happened on Tuesday. The first link is the video, the second the written report. It's in Spanish but for non-Spanish readers the video is clear enough.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

sad ~~ why were they being evicted?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Squatters. How does one get them to leave if they refuse to do so? I doubt they didn't KNOW they had no legal right to that land.

A little heavy-handed, yes. There's prolly much more to the story. The property owner was not interviewed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Face it, it is purely eviction for hire.

It was just someone who had the money to pay to get some people off a bit of land. It really didn't matter who was right or wrong. It was simply a case of who had the money.

In any event, it was hardly a sterling example of professionalism by the military.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that the military are heavy handed (of course they are usually uneducated thugs) it is important to put an end to this crap of occupying someone's land. 99% of the time the invaders are not families without land, but opportunists (Tigueres) who invade a piece of land only to sell it and make a quick buck.

I had a piece of land that I had to sell, because for some reason people believed this land was "government land", even though I had a clear title. Fortunately for me I had friends in town who gave me a heads up and then I let it be known that this land was MY land, that I had a title and that anyone who invaded it would be thrown out and in jail. The truth is I was scared sh$tless as I knew that if a huge mob went in It would be almost impossible to get them all out and either way it was going to cost me a lot of money or the land itself, so I sold it at the first chance I got.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am completely sympathetic to owners of land who are at the mercy of gangsters poising as squatters, but there has to be some balance and moderation, otherwise there is no law, only opportunists with money looking to take whatever they can grab, with the willing help of a paid-off military.

The history of the US is filled with such stories, so let's be fair. This type of situation happened, and continues to happen everywhere. It's just that it much easier to manage if the agents of government are relatively free from corruption. Unfortunately, that is not the case in the DR.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    I am completely sympathetic to owners of land who are at the mercy of gangsters poising as squatters, but there has to be some balance and moderation, otherwise there is no law, only opportunists with money looking to take whatever they can grab, with the willing help of a paid-off military.

The history of the US is filled with such stories, so let's be fair. This type of situation happened, and continues to happen everywhere. It's just that it much easier to manage if the agents of government are relatively free from corruption. Unfortunately, that is not the case in the DR.
    Property rights are property rights. Like a copyright, one must enforce property rights or lose them.

There is either law or not. "Moderation" doesn't exist with laws. Law is law. If those folks are/were squatters then they SHOULD be evicted by whatever LEGAL means local statute allows.

And I'll wager there is a whole lot more to the story than a bunch of military guys just randomly showing up with guns and tear gas to kick the poor, innocent folks off that land.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the squatters get any warning at all, or does the PN just show up one day and toss everything out into the road and tear apart the house?

I couldn't make out too much from the video except "thieves" and "liars" and some curses. I would like to see a complete video with a full account of how the process is started and concluded. Do they have to pay the PN to preform the eviction?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter, the answer is, we don't know.

And that is precisely the problem. While some can, and will, jump to conclusions with regard to who is right and wrong in this case, we have no idea what the facts are in this situation.

Not only that, but we will probably never know, and that is to the benefit of those who make their own laws regarding who owns what, and why.

Again, this is all about the money, pure and simple, and until we have more facts to go on, we should probably (or 'prolly', as the case may be) leave the speculating to those with an agenda.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this just past Gaspar Hernandeaz in the late 90's. People were putting up minimal structures trying to establish squatter rights and the buildings were all destroyed on a variety of occasions. There is also an area just outside San Francisco de Macoris leaving near the hospital San Vicente de Paul. The first group (large ) was given a piece of land and latter more and more groups expanded the area and I have seen the structures torn down on various occasions by the police or military. My in-laws use a different road to the campo due to passing this area is not considered safe any more.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast