Guard Dogs

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
What kind of dog is well suited for the DR climate? I'm looking for a family/guard dog. Are there vet's around for all that goes with caring for a pet? Thanks, Corey

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
Great Dane, Rottweiler, Pitbull, American bulldog all make great guard dogs.

To be honest you should get a seperate dog for family loving. As it would be useless to give your guard dog lots of attention,

fact is any dog will protect his/her owner and family if treated right, but this can also leave your guard right open!

point is Guard dogs attack, family dogs love.

BR

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i have a female sheppard/rottie mix
she is extremely loving and friendly
she thinks
cats, squirrels, and racoons are just a different breed of dog to play with :)

however...should anyone she doesn't know well comes near she rears up on her hind legs and lets out a howlish woof that the people tend to deter thier path away...

i've been told that sheppards are family oriented and smart
and the rottie aggressive and protective...

from my experience and many other dog owners it is a good mixed breed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
any dog as long as it is big and preferably black (some dominicans associate black dogs with the devil). few dr1ers train and sell proper guard dogs and i would presume those kind of animals are safe around family (but never leave dogs with kids unsupervised).
some claim the best guard dogs are one of them small buggers who yap at every shadow :)
we have plenty of vets in DR and all kinds of supplies for animals are available.
we have a rottie size of a small cow. she scares dominicans like hell: they cross the street, change direction or pick up sticks at the sight of her.

Reactions: jrhartley

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I actually have 3 rotties, it's a long story as to why I have 3 but they are family pets, much loved and very loving. This also makes them VERY protective of my wife and I. My nieghbor, who the dogs know well, wanted to borrow a shovel, I handed it to him over my gate and as soon as he had it above his head in front of me, all hell broke loose with my dogs. I think you would be ill-advised to jump over my wall!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
What kind of dog is well suited for the DR climate? I'm looking for a family/guard dog. Are there vet's around for all that goes with caring for a pet? Thanks, Corey

For the majority of Dominicans, if the dog is big, it's scary; regardless of the breed. I walk my medium sized 40-pound collie mix everyday and people constantly approach nervously and ask: Does it bite? My response: Yes, she's ferocious :)

If you're looking to adopt the dog, please check out PADELA's shelter in the Zona Colonial: Padela - Dominican Republic

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

There are few dogs who would not enjoy the DR climate as, just as we do, they love the warmth but will seek shade and possibly a dip in water to cool down when necessary.

There is no reason whatsoever that you cannot have a good protection dog which will also be loving and loyal to the family. Like most of us, no doubt, you want to be forewarned and protected from any possible intruders.

If, as mentioned, you are prepared to 'adopt a dog' which is looking for a secure, loving and family home and are settling on the north coast (which I believe you are), please contact Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. where you are sure to find just what you are looking for and, at the same time, offer a homeless dog/s a caring new environment.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I have three shepherds and they would do anything to protect me and my family...one is pure black...lol They are so gentle with my friends and family...but would die for us..very devoted, very loving and very protective...not sure if they would like the hot weather but they will adapt to anything to be with their master.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Doberman best guard dog

I had an alsation German Shepherd and it was plagued by ear infections and ticks. He was the best dog I ever had but was not suited to tropical climate. Since then I have Dobermans. They are great and never get sick. They dont suffer from ticks or infections. Mine are also great family dogs and the locals are terrified of them. I just found homes for a few puppies last week but should have some more in another six months.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I am partial to Shepherds myself. I wouldn't want the dog to suffer in the heat though with such a heavy coat. My husband likes Great Danes. I also really like the idea of getting a dog from the animal shelter. Thanks to all for the input.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi CoreyH,

We have a rockweiler that we would like to give away. Please pm me for more details if you are interested. We live in Santiago.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Even a spaniel or a dachshund will eat up a stranger to protect it's owner. Big dogs are not always agressive, just as smaller dogs are not always wimps.
The tone of this thread is odd to me. You all discuss discuss trying to frighten the Dominican locals, in much the same way cowboys in the old movies discussed being on the lookout for those red-skinned savages.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I certainly didn't mean to imply anything. I've read many, many things on these forums about the need for personal protection. I love animals so getting another dog isn't just for protection. I have a Shih-Tzu right now who thinks he IS a rottie!! He is 10 now so I'd like to get another, larger, dog who wont roast down there. To the person with a rottie in Santiago--we're not coming down for at least 6 months to a year, but thanks anyway and good luck placing your dog :)

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Corey, I didn't mean your posts. I have a hateful Boykin Spaniel for protection - protection against anyone wishing me ill.
It was more the posts about getting a bid dog, beacause Dominicans are afraid of big dogs. And getting a black dog, because Dominicans associate black dogs with the devil. It just struck me as very odd.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
To the person with a rottie in Santiago--we're not coming down for at least 6 months to a year, but thanks anyway and good luck placing your dog :)

You should be a little clearer on your intentions then.

There is tons of good information available here by using the search function without the need to start 10 new threads a day!

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Viralata Canina - is the local breed of dog that are great for pets. Often come with a combination of all known types of dog deseases but never get sick. They will eat absolutely anything especially garbage. Have been known to eat furniture and becareful not to scratch your head in a fast motion as they will think that you are about to throw a rock and they will run away. They come in most colors but mostly either creamy, black or dark brown. It is rumoured that they are related to the mute Taino dog.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Sorry, I thought that this was for information/conversation. I didn't realize that there was a limit on what you were allowed to ask. So, if you have questions, how many threads are you allowed to start?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry, I thought that this was for information/conversation. I didn't realize that there was a limit on what you were allowed to ask. So, if you have questions, how many threads are you allowed to start?

No need to apologize, feel free to start as many threads as you need to.

Reactions: Bronxboy