Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guard Dogs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Guard Dogs

What kind of dog is well suited for the DR climate? I'm looking for a family/guard dog. Are there vet's around for all that goes with caring for a pet? Thanks, Corey

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Dane, Rottweiler, Pitbull, American bulldog all make great guard dogs.

To be honest you should get a seperate dog for family loving. As it would be useless to give your guard dog lots of attention,

fact is any dog will protect his/her owner and family if treated right, but this can also leave your guard right open!

point is Guard dogs attack, family dogs love.

BR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a female sheppard/rottie mix
    she is extremely loving and friendly
    she thinks
    cats, squirrels, and racoons are just a different breed of dog to play with

however...should anyone she doesn't know well comes near she rears up on her hind legs and lets out a howlish woof that the people tend to deter thier path away...

i've been told that sheppards are family oriented and smart
    and the rottie aggressive and protective...

from my experience and many other dog owners it is a good mixed breed.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

any dog as long as it is big and preferably black (some dominicans associate black dogs with the devil). few dr1ers train and sell proper guard dogs and i would presume those kind of animals are safe around family (but never leave dogs with kids unsupervised).
    some claim the best guard dogs are one of them small buggers who yap at every shadow
    we have plenty of vets in DR and all kinds of supplies for animals are available.
    we have a rottie size of a small cow. she scares dominicans like hell: they cross the street, change direction or pick up sticks at the sight of her.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    any dog as long as it is big and preferably black (some dominicans associate black dogs with the devil). .
    Steady!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually have 3 rotties, it's a long story as to why I have 3 but they are family pets, much loved and very loving. This also makes them VERY protective of my wife and I. My nieghbor, who the dogs know well, wanted to borrow a shovel, I handed it to him over my gate and as soon as he had it above his head in front of me, all hell broke loose with my dogs. I think you would be ill-advised to jump over my wall!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    What kind of dog is well suited for the DR climate? I'm looking for a family/guard dog. Are there vet's around for all that goes with caring for a pet? Thanks, Corey
    For the majority of Dominicans, if the dog is big, it's scary; regardless of the breed. I walk my medium sized 40-pound collie mix everyday and people constantly approach nervously and ask: Does it bite? My response: Yes, she's ferocious

If you're looking to adopt the dog, please check out PADELA's shelter in the Zona Colonial: Padela - Dominican Republic

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    There are few dogs who would not enjoy the DR climate as, just as we do, they love the warmth but will seek shade and possibly a dip in water to cool down when necessary.

There is no reason whatsoever that you cannot have a good protection dog which will also be loving and loyal to the family. Like most of us, no doubt, you want to be forewarned and protected from any possible intruders.

If, as mentioned, you are prepared to 'adopt a dog' which is looking for a secure, loving and family home and are settling on the north coast (which I believe you are), please contact Asociación De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosúa, Inc. where you are sure to find just what you are looking for and, at the same time, offer a homeless dog/s a caring new environment.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, thanks so much!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three shepherds and they would do anything to protect me and my family...one is pure black...lol They are so gentle with my friends and family...but would die for us..very devoted, very loving and very protective...not sure if they would like the hot weather but they will adapt to anything to be with their master.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast