Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: schoolbuses??

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default schoolbuses??

How do kids in the DR get to school?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

walk. take motoconchos. take carros publicos.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it safe for them to do that alone? I've seen so many posts on here that say that it is so dangerous that I didn't know if you could send a kid (14 yr old boy) by himself. What is the cost for a carro publico?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

oh boy. i went to school alone since the age of 6...
    kids in DR are more independent the the ones in europe or america and parents are less concerned about safety.
    14 year olds probably already have sex, what is a trip on carro publico?
    a ride is 15-20 pesos. motoconcho 20-25, may be more depending on distance. travel few times with your boy so he knows the way and gets used to new environment. and then hand him some cash every day and do not worry.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican schools are not giant infrastructures like they are in the US and Canada. The largest school I visited was about 300 kids from about 5th grade up and the smallest was less than 60 of all ages. Most kids simply walk. In rural areas, they may have to walk a few miles each way.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay $2600 pesos/month for private school transportation; They pick her up in the morning and bring her back at 2pm.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

yes you can actually walk to school here in this country. no suv's driving kid 2 blocks, using energy and getting fat...

Post Thanks / Like

Alas, that is not the case in the private school sector in the capital or where we live, in Punta Cana village. Even when the school is at a walkable distance, most kids are still driven to school by parents/chauffeurs.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay $1600 monthly. The guagua picks up and drops off my son at the local gas station and I'm there to drop off and pick up. The guagua has about 10 other kids. It's pretty good, as it saves me loads of gas and time.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand the question. From that "how to be safer" thread, one would think that the DR would be *far* too dangerous to allow a kid to walk anywhere alone - without a taser or pistol, that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast