schoolbuses??

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Is it safe for them to do that alone? I've seen so many posts on here that say that it is so dangerous that I didn't know if you could send a kid (14 yr old boy) by himself. What is the cost for a carro publico?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh boy. i went to school alone since the age of 6...
kids in DR are more independent the the ones in europe or america and parents are less concerned about safety.
14 year olds probably already have sex, what is a trip on carro publico? :)
a ride is 15-20 pesos. motoconcho 20-25, may be more depending on distance. travel few times with your boy so he knows the way and gets used to new environment. and then hand him some cash every day and do not worry.

May 29, 2006
Dominican schools are not giant infrastructures like they are in the US and Canada. The largest school I visited was about 300 kids from about 5th grade up and the smallest was less than 60 of all ages. Most kids simply walk. In rural areas, they may have to walk a few miles each way.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I pay $2600 pesos/month for private school transportation; They pick her up in the morning and bring her back at 2pm.

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
yes you can actually walk to school here in this country. no suv's driving kid 2 blocks, using energy and getting fat...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Alas, that is not the case in the private school sector in the capital or where we live, in Punta Cana village. Even when the school is at a walkable distance, most kids are still driven to school by parents/chauffeurs.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I pay $1600 monthly. The guagua picks up and drops off my son at the local gas station and I'm there to drop off and pick up. The guagua has about 10 other kids. It's pretty good, as it saves me loads of gas and time.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I completely understand the question. From that "how to be safer" thread, one would think that the DR would be *far* too dangerous to allow a kid to walk anywhere alone - without a taser or pistol, that is.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thank you for understanding!! I loved it when we were down, and it didn't seem like downtown Iraq but from the postings it sounds terrifying!!

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Many schools have buss which will take your kid and bring him back. I pay 2000 peso p/month, pretty long distance.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
from what i've seen from most posters
the only thing on the island that is in danger is your wallet

like any country there is the odd situation to worry about....
but the constant that never seems to change is money :)

just beware of scammers..it's the same in every country :)

kids are able tp adapt to new environments much more easily than the parents

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for the reassurance, I loved the DR when we were there and I'd really like to move there. We're coming down in a few months just to be there again. Sometimes memory tends to change things.

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
traffic is terrible in the a.m. all the parents have to drop the darlings in the school yard...they should at least car pool a kid or two...
dont try to use the road from 7,50 am to 8.15...evan with a couple of guards and a crossing guard. He is used to let in the 4x4s...