100% teledensity in DR... lol

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
They r funny...

"100% teledensity in DR
The director of the Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (Indotel), Jose Rafael Vargas announced that the DR has reached 100% teledensity. As of 4 March 2010, there were 9,763,086 lines compared to a population estimated at 9,742,374 inhabitants."

Well I do think that during my 10 years I am responsible for like 20+ phones... My friends that come down here for a longer stay always buy a 500 pesos phone...

I and i do think that 9,742,374 inhabitants could be 10-11 million something.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
jose rafael vargas is a good guy.

in the end you can't be 100% accurate with stats, and obviously its likely we'll end up with 110% or something.. but the key point is that most of the country has a phone, or they certainly have access to one if they need it. historically that was not the case.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i've seen some of the chicos with 2 phones :)
even saw one texting a message while he drove across the road
{not even looking i may add :surprised}

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Active users is different from total subscribers.
What is the amount of active users?
For Digicel in Haiti the ratio was around 2 to 1, which would suggest half of Dominicans have their own cellphone.
Still pretty impressive!

The last 2 apartments I have rented required me to change my cellphone company in order to get reception.
I now have 3 sim cards - 1 of which actually works well.

I am personally responsible for around 10 sim cards here over the years.

?

? bient?t

Back in '04, while in Hig?ey trying to impress a young lady at a centro de llamadas, I bragged about never owning a cell phone, then a gentleman nearby commented: "Usted si 'ta atrasao!"

Imagine that!

Reactions: Adrian Bye

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well said Pedrochemical. Figures for cell phones that can work in 100% in the Republic would be much more meaningful. Where we live in LT , Claro doesn't work, nor Viva, nor Tricell, if we're lucky we might get 1 bar from Orange! That frequently disappears in the middle of a conversation. Yes, we can receive but not send text messages but that doesn't help much because the majority of Dominicans don't seem to know how to use text.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well said Pedrochemical. Figures for cell phones that can work in 100% in the Republic would be much more meaningful. Where we live in LT , Claro doesn't work, nor Viva, nor Tricell, if we're lucky we might get 1 bar from Orange! That frequently disappears in the middle of a conversation. Yes, we can receive but not send text messages but that doesn't help much because the majority of Dominicans don't seem to know how to use text.

say what????? every dominican I know, knows how to use text as it cheaper, and makes their peso's last longer.

Will agree on the signal strength problems.

Most of the prepay customers are on orange most of the plan customers belong to claro. so Orange may have more customers now, but Claro makes more money.