S.Dom. or Boca Chica for 1st night

K

Kirk

Hi I am part of a group (arriving at different times) that is starting a road trip march 10th, heading to samana pen.

Where would be a better place for 5 guys to meet on sat. for one night/ day before we take off- San. Domingo or Boca Chica-

The L. plant guide book did not exactly give BC rave reviews- It is only one night (a sat night)

where should 5 guys go for that all important first night!!
any sug. on a hotel??
thanks a lot! kirk

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: S.Dom. or BC for 1st night - BC, Hands Down!

Boca Chica is in the direction you are traveling (Santo Domingo is not), it is closer to the airport (about 10 minutes vs 30-60 to Santo Domingo), less expensive hotels, and in my opinion, much more fun than Santo Domingo.

I suggest you take a look at www.BocaChicaBeach.net and see what Boca Chica is all about. Of the guide books I've looked at, I've found that guide books on the Dominican Republic are in general, written as though the author has never even BEEN in the Dominican Republic and instead just read some highly dated info from elsewhere. Take what you read with a big grain of salt.

Make sure you go out your first night in the town of Boca Chica after midnight to experience the best nightlife the Caribbean has to offer (see nightlife link).

As far as hotel recommendations go, see the site's hotels link. You will easily be able to decide by looking at that page based on your needs.

N

Natasha

Re: S.Dom. or B. Chica - Santo Domingo, of course!

I don't know much about BC's night life or hotels, but from a strictly location point of view, you are better off in Santo Domingo than in Boca Chica. If you were to be travelling to the eastern part of the country, then staying in BC might make more sense. You are travelling to the north (to Samana), however. The best route (and only route at this point) is through the Duarte Highway, which is better accessed through Santo Domingo. From Santo Domingo, you will be on Duarte Highway in a breeze!

In terms of Santo Domingo itself as your location for your first night, well I just HAVE to say that you absolutely CANNOT go wrong with this choice. Aside from providing the better location for your road trip to Samana, you will be in a most exciting city! Lots of hotels to choose from, as well as every possible form of entertaiment (restaurants, bars, clubs, points of interest, etc.). I know, you are not going on an excursion of the city, but I just have to emphasize (again) the fact that you will not go wrong staying in Santo Domingo.

In terms of hotels, I have copied a description of a small hotel I highly recommend, it is called Hotel Palacio. No, I don't get a penny for suggesting this hotel, LOL. It is just a very nice place where I have personally stayed, and where friends of mine that have visited the country have stayed also. In addition, take a look at the URLs listed below for more information. Enjoy your trip!

Regards,
Natasha

http://www.dominican-rep.com/Hotel-Palacio.html
http://www.wheretostay.com/caribbean/resorts/319-photos.html

DR1 2001 Archive
Re: Hotel Palacio Info??

Posted By: Natasha
Date: Friday, 12 January 2001, at 5:50 p.m.

In Response To: Hotel Palacio Info?? (RBE)

This is a very nice inn and I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed by their service and the facilities in general. The rooms range from spacious to downright huge; all done in antiques and impeccably clean. They all have cable TV's. The guestrooms facing the courtyard are a bit dark, in contrary to those that face the streets which are bright and airy. The small indoor courtyard is used for continental breakfasts and it is great for reading and escaping the at times noisy streets. Bathrooms (the only modernity at Palacio) come with abundant toilettries. Some guestrooms' baths have particularly bright lighting and very nice showers!

You will be in the heart of the Colonial Zone, which is a big plus. This hotel is also extremely secured. The rooftop has a jaccuzi and a great view of the old city. Two years ago the rate per night during low season was about $US60. Enjoy!

Regards,
Natasha

J

Jim Hinsch

Everything you said was correct. Santo Domingo is more on the way and also a great place.

W

williamleslie

But for 5 single guys WITH ONLY ONE NIGHT they will find instant action and night life in Boca Chica without spending 2 days getting oriented to the big city to find the action.

E

Eddy

I have to agree with williamleslie. For a one nighter, Boca Chica is better.

G

Greg

If you decide to stay at Boca Chica, I recommend Hotel Costalunga. It is very clean and the rooms have AC and cable TV. You can get a huge suite for all of you or get seperate rooms. I have spent a lot of time in Boca Chica and I have checked out all the bed and breakfasts there, and this by far is the nicest. check it out on the internet @ www.costalunga.net

Enjoy!!!!

N

Natasha

I think you meant to respond to me since Jim Hinsch suggested BC initially.

Regards,
Natasha

W

williamleslie

I was just agreeing with Jim and beleive thats why he suggested BC in the first place

E

Eddy

The bottom line has to be Boca Chica. If the guys were staying over 2, 3 or 4 days, Santo Domingo would be the choice. But before even realizing where the Conde or the Colonial area is, their evening will be over. They will be stuck in a bar with not much action.