Why Do Women In The DR Wear Make-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
After living here for a few years I can't help but notice that the attractive women never wear make-up!

Is natural beauty not the most important element?

The blue eye shadow does not work for me!

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Tamborista

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not that i think i am a beauty :) but i do not wear makeup unless going out at night. i just cannot be bothered. such a waste of time to slap it on in the morning - i'd rather have 15 more minutes in bed :)
but yes, dominican ladies like their maquillage. i went once to a graduation ceremony in PUCMM and nearly all the girl were made up heavier than a 60 year old ho. wow. such pretty, young faces and so badly ruined with thick layer of paint.
but then i have some secret admiration for my sister in law who wears makeup every single day. she looks darn nice! :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
of course it CAN enhance ones natural beauty lol
cher.jpg

May 29, 2006
I'm not a big fan of heavy make-up, but I am impressed with how artistic some Dominican women are with it. I agree that many of the most beautiful women wear barely any make-up at all. I have never seen the practice of outlining the lips with eyeliner(?) along with lipstick outside of the DR, and it is also odd that some women shave their eyebrows and then draw(possible tattoo?) fake eyebrows higher.

I think your comment about the more attractive women not wearing make-up is more that women who feel they don't need it are probably more confident, smile more and have more of a presence.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I'm not a big fan of heavy make-up, but I am impressed with how artistic some Dominican women are with it. I agree that many of the most beautiful women wear barely any make-up at all. I have never seen the practice of outlining the lips with eyeliner(?) along with lipstick outside of the DR, and it is also odd that some women shave their eyebrows and then draw(possible tattoo?) fake eyebrows higher.

I think your comment about the more attractive women not wearing make-up is more that women who feel they don't need it are probably more confident, smile more and have more of a presence.

Or maybe they cant afford it. You know the women here are status conscious and wont use any ol'make up. It has to be Revlon, Clairol, Maybelline, etc. That stuff costs.
I dont like the colors sometimes, the blues or the real bright reds that dont match their skin tones so they wind up looking like clowns. Of when they go to the photo studio and they whiten their faces. Thats so funny! The women has a brown outline of her head but her face is white and she has a big nose.
And then there is the shaving the eyebrow thing, I saw Mexican actresses do that but they were like 60-80years old and man it may look good when your 25 but at 75 you look like a crazie.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:) :) :)
clairol is a brand of hair cosmetic, not makeup :)
and there is lip liner for lips :)
(although one may use eyeliner and even eye shadow for emo makeup)
it shows how much you men know about those things :)
racerx, i really think brand matters not. most shops carry really cheap cosmetics and i have not seen any of my girlfriends use brand names, even cheap ones like revlon.
indeed, some women here are skilled with their paint and i love full colour coordination: makeup always matches clothes, shoes, bags and belts.

May 29, 2006
I know women wear lip liner, but in the US they don't outline their lips in totally different color like this:

9fva50.jpg

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
:) :) :)
clairol is a brand of hair cosmetic, not makeup :)
and there is lip liner for lips :)
(although one may use eyeliner and even eye shadow for emo makeup)
it shows how much you men know about those things :)
racerx, i really think brand matters not. most shops carry really cheap cosmetics and i have not seen any of my girlfriends use brand names, even cheap ones like revlon.
indeed, some women here are skilled with their paint and i love full colour coordination: makeup always matches clothes, shoes, bags and belts.

Everything you said was like blah blah blah to me. Men dont care about that junk. And if you find a man who does, check his shoes he may be "lightening his loafers". Mines are black.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have this girlfriend who goes to bed in her makeup on, wakes up at 5 or 6, washes it off and immediately re-applies. i have never seen her without slap and neither did her hubby. i guess he must like it :)
luckily miesposo prefers me without makeup but somehow he always compliments me more when i actually put it on. hmm...
and my post was a humorous one, dude.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I agree with many of you. Slapping whale grease all over your face is no substitute for having a good wash with carbolic soap. Its one of the things that attracts me to Las Terrenas, the none or very little makeup girls put on. Not like the UK where from a very young age they slap it on leaving ugly tide marks around their necks, then when they get 40 years of age their faces when washed look like the surface of the moon. Full of craters! Whenever I go to the UK i come back with several kilos of carbolic soap, what used to be Lifebuoy. The rush from Dominican in-laws for a piece is amazing, they swear by it and I have to say the cleared up complexions have been remarkable. The brain washing by Max Factor and the like is incredible. I don't think I have ever seen a woman looking better for make up in my 70 + years of life.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Make up is to enhance beauty and if properly done men don't notice it. ;)

People with a lovely natural tan don't need much cover up so a little mascara and maybe lipstick would be enough. What some save on make-up will spend 3 times or more on nails and hair though. It's all in the name of attraction whether you guys see it or not.

Reactions: Tamborista

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Make up is to enhance beauty and if properly done men don't notice it. ;)

People with a lovely natural tan don't need much cover up so a little mascara and maybe lipstick would be enough. What some save on make-up will spend 3 times or more on nails and hair though. It's all in the name of attraction whether you guys see it or not.

If I don't see it, how do you know it attracts? The only reason for lipstick is so a female can mark her territory. As a general rule guys don't like it, or at least I don't. Better natural!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So they do it to impress other women then?

A lot of studies which I have no links for at the moment say that women do these things to compete with and try to look better than other women. But there are many reasons why women wear make-up. Like I said if you are not born with a nice natural tan, dark lashes and eyebrows you might need to cover up some blemishes and such.:paranoid:

I wouldn't know, I'm so beautiful :laugh: I've never worn much except some eye make-up ( not blue). As I age I bought some expensive beige stuff to cover my face in but it's itchy because I'm not used to it and then I noticed my wrinkles not my beauty was enhanced. :surprised

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
A lot of studies which I have no links for at the moment say that women do these things to compete with and try to look better than other women. But there are many reasons why women wear make-up. Like I said if you are not born with a nice natural tan, dark lashes and eyebrows you might need to cover up some blemishes and such.:paranoid:

I wouldn't know, I'm so beautiful :laugh: I've never worn much except some eye make-up ( not blue). As I age I bought some expensive beige stuff to cover my face in but it's itchy because I'm not used to it and then I noticed my wrinkles not my beauty was enhanced. :surprised

Which confirms my hunch that women do that junk to create envy in other women. I m like many of the dudes here, the make-up, hot pants all that jazz doesnt get my motor running. But its like when I m hanging out with women, I can read the face of other women. And those women always look at a woman starting from her feet to her hair to find something to criticize. I seen it clear as day when I was coming from the mall with one woman. There was a woman standing in the street by her yepeta and she started in on her feet with her gaze and then worked her way up to her hair. And I know this because I had eye contact with her all the time. Now I m thinking no one has 500 pesos to their name but are free to critique someone else for not being "in style".

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I wear a little makeup, because it makes me feel feminine and pretty. The problem with makeup, is that we are rarely taught how to apply it. There are many youtube videos that do just that.
We all have different views on what is pretty, too - even within a particular society. I have a very fair skinned instructor, younger than I, who draws on the most God awful, thick, black eyebrows. It's hard for me to concentrate on what she's saying, without staring at those eyebrows! Apparently, she thinks they look good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.