Animal Cruelty at the New Life School, Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
I am a resident of Sosua, where I have lived with my family since 2005. I am familiar with local customs and culture, having had a business and home here for the last 5 years. I have full legal residency here.

Yesterday my wife and I were driving down the Lamulata road, passed the New Life school at about 14.15. We were astonished to see a young Haitian lad inside the premises with an adult cat in his hand, which he was swinging around his head windmill style by the base of it's tail, whilst a bunch of his friends looked on with obvious mirth and enjoyment. We observed between four and six such rotations, but there very probably has been many more We stopped the car to remonstrate with this individual, who by this time was holding the naturally terrified animal by the back of its neck and its tail. We were intercepted by a member of staff who later identified himself as Joe though he declined to give his full name even though I introduced myself fully. He was white, about 5 10 and 200 lbs and was wearing the official New Life T shirt and shorts.
He seemed astonished when I told him that animal cruelty and allowing the same is illegal in this country (cockfighting currently excepted) told us to leave the boy alone as this sort of behaviour was simply part of "their culture" and that I was in a private place (so presumably I should not concern myself with what goes on there). At no time did he remonstrate with the boy, who throughout stood smirking and giggling, apparently he works for th organisation. It turns out the cat was a nursing female, but at no time did he tell the lad to release the terrified animal, despite it's obvious suffering being gripped by the back of her neck and the base of her tail.
"
We were later able to speak with the Gloria, the lady lady in charge who did manage to express regret about the incident and promised to "speak with the young man later".

I find it inconcievable that the actions and demonstrated attitudes of junior and senior staff at the New Life School represent Christian values, aims and aspirations, or provide a responsible example to the many young people in their care and charge at this school.

In short to say we were thoroughly disgusted would be a serious understatement.

I will submit a report to the local animal rescue charity, ("Joe" was quick to tell me that your organisation provides premises and facilities to this organisation, I assume this was a sort of subtle pressure to tell me that they wouldn't take the matter up)

--

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Good for you..sometimes you can judge a society by the way they treat their animals.

Mar 2, 2008
You were absolutely right to speak up, and you showed courage and integrity in doing so.

There are those on this forum who would suggest that it is better to overlook such behavior, but personally I do not believe the process of assimilation includes checking your moral convictions at the door.

Good for you, Hugh!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Sickening story and made worse by where it happened! I know that you and your other half are animal lovers so it must have been very distressing for you both.
Give 'em hell!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It must have been very distressing to witness this cruelty but, the fact that you did and that you spoke up about it, may alleviate the many times this may occur without witnesses. Be assured that our comments are not the last that the New Life School will hear about this incident.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
He seemed astonished when I told him that animal cruelty and allowing the same is illegal in this country (cockfighting currently excepted) told us to leave the boy alone as this sort of behaviour was simply part of "their culture" and that I was in a private place (so presumably I should not concern myself with what goes on there). At no time did he remonstrate with the boy, who throughout stood smirking and giggling, apparently he works for th organisation. It turns out the cat was a nursing female, but at no time did he tell the lad to release the terrified animal, despite it's obvious suffering being gripped by the back of her neck and the base of her tail.

We were later able to speak with the Gloria, the lady lady in charge who did manage to express regret about the incident and promised to "speak with the young man later".

Was Gloria referring to the boy or the staff member? I would have thought she needs to speak to both and to do so both separately and together. The boy's behaviour in relation to the cat needs to be addressed, of course, so also does the staff member's reaction to a member of the public raising a justifiable issue. These could both be done separately. Then Gloria should, IMHO, bring both together so that the boy learns that the teacher/staff member was wrong in this instance and so that the boy can witness the teacher/staff member being suitably contrite etc etc so that the boy learns the appropriate way of dealing with being remonstrated. Of course, if the teacher/staff member would be likely to argue the issue with the lady in charge, this would NOT be a good example...........but there are plenty of others looking for jobs at schools so my guess is he could be replaced fairly easily. Unless of course, he is a volunteer........but even then there are many volunteers here who are probably a lot more suited to the role.

Does this school have any sort of parents' group? I wonder if Judy or a volunteer from Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. would be prepared to offer an educational talk with the parents, teachers and children as to appropriate behaviour with animals? Or maybe someone with real knowledge of Dominican culture should address the staff group as to what is 'their culture'. It could be, of course, that other staff would be unimpressed by this staff member's reaction to you, hughatthepub, and it is just him with the problem.

Well done, hugh, and please keep us posted with developments, and whirley, I'm sure you will, too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh good!~ Now we know that New Life is raising furute mass murders and child molesters. I think I'd talk to a local cop, you know? A little grease here and there and when the s.o.b. comes out of the school he goes for a ride and then you can twirl him around a bit and see how he likes it to be helpless....too bad the phucking cat didn't have rabies and bite the sucker!!

HB, ****ed and I don't reaalyy like cats!!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Oh good!~ Now we know that New Life is raising furute mass murders and child molesters. I think I'd talk to a local cop, you know? A little grease here and there and when the s.o.b. comes out of the school he goes for a ride and then you can twirl him around a bit and see how he likes it to be helpless....too bad the phucking cat didn't have rabies and bite the sucker!!

HB, ****ed and I don't reaalyy like cats!!!

And according to their website you can go and do mission work for them and they only charge 575US$ per week for board and lodging!

phatman2

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for Getting involved

Regarding the animal cruelty post...Thanks to the couple that intervened...many would choose simply, to not get involved...Being a dog lover, and one who brought an abandoned dog from cabarete to n.y., with amazing results, it takes the work of many, to someday, pssibly change the way all animals are treated on the island...I hate hearing about different culture...just the same, it doesnt make it right...I always see puppies being hokced on the side of the road in sosua...makes me sick...poor animals in the hot sun, only to look forard to being tied up on a short chain, in someones yard...Every time i visit, I try to do my small part...whether its taking an animal to dr.bobs for treatment, or buying food from the playero and taking it to some of the dominican neighborhoods...Get involved...do your part..every little bit helps...

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
helping out

I agree with every little bit helps. I have two dogs that I feed near the Colmado close to our house. They wait for my vehicle now because they know I have food for them. It is nice to seem them gain a little weight and how happy they are to see me.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And according to their website you can go and do mission work for them and they only charge 575US$ per week for board and lodging!

And did anyone ever answer the question of whether this New Life School and mission has anything to do with that group of people who went in to Haiti, ostensibly to bring out Haitian children to place in an orphanage in Cabarete of the same name? Some of us have been asking the question in the Haiti EQ forum for over a month now but......no response.

Somebody must know. I don't want to hijack this thread with this question so anyone who knows, please post the answer here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/haiti-earthquake/100199-who-can-stop-tragedy-44.html#post839947

jwhanleyjr

Aug 8, 2007
www.godleadsus.com
Official Reply

The incident did not inlcude any of the children from the school. The primary person involved was a Hatian Day Laborer. As the employer, Colegio Nueva Vida has taken appropriate actions.

If anyone would like to speak with school leadership directly, please contact me by PM and we can schedule a time to meet.

John Hanley
School Administrator

Reactions: mike l

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The incident did not inlcude any of the children from the school. The primary person involved was a Hatian Day Laborer. As the employer, Colegio Nueva Vida has taken appropriate actions.

If anyone would like to speak with school leadership directly, please contact me by PM and we can schedule a time to meet.

John Hanley
School Administrator

You do not feel it would be wise to offer a quick yes/no answer as to whether you are involved with the New Life organisation that Silsby was involved with?

I can only assume that if you do not offer an answer one way or the other that this is uncomfortable for you.

Is you New Life enterprise for profit or not-for profit?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

John Hanley
School Administrator

Mr. Harley, as I understood the original post, there were 2 individuals involved, one that was thought to be a student and one that was thought to be a teacher or supervisor. Which was the Haitian day laborer and what action, if any, has been taken against the other participant?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You do not feel it would be wise to offer a quick yes/no answer as to whether you are involved with the New Life organisation that Silsby was involved with?

I can only assume that if you do not offer an answer one way or the other that this is uncomfortable for you.

Is you New Life enterprise for profit or not-for profit?

Not wanting to divert the thread but it is important to know that the New Life school in Sosua is not associated with the Silsby organisation of the same name involved in alleged child trafficking recently in Haiti - according to John Hanley.

Good!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparently New Life wants me to remove my nasty words. Hummmm...can't seem to do that, not really sure i should.
There was no "Christian" reaction to the abuse by someone under their control. So what do they teach?

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not wanting to divert the thread but it is important to know that the New Life school in Sosua is not associated with the Silsby organisation of the same name involved in alleged child trafficking recently in Haiti - according to John Hanley.

Good!

Yes I received a PM to this effect from Mr. Hanley who gave permission to share the information, so I will post on the Haiti EQ thread.

Might I ask, Mr. Hanley, who this Joe person is? According to the OP 'We were intercepted by a member of staff who later identified himself as Joe though he declined to give his full name even though I introduced myself fully. He was white, about 5 10 and 200 lbs and was wearing the official New Life T shirt and shorts.' (emboldening mine).

Of course it is possible that Joe is the Haitian day labourer referred to by Mr. Hanley but.............unlikely, I would have thought from the description given. It was Joe who interracted with hughatthepub, according to hughatthepub. So either this is inaccurate, or, if it is accurate, no information about 'Joe' has been included in Mr. Hanley's post.

I'm sure there will be a simple explanation & look forward to reading it on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.