Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Refugees in Sosua

It has become apparent in recent weeks the insurge of Hatian's Refugees showing up on the streets of Sosua.
    Dressed poorly, most without any form of footwear and ripped clothes, I see locals and tourists concerned for their own safety by avoiding popular areas such as Pedro Clisante and indeed the main street near to Banco Popular.
    I believe by encouraging them to beg or by giving them "hand-outs" this will do nothing to solve the problem of having them on the streets and indeed encourage their relatives and friends to join them in the town.
    It's only a matter of time before the mugging and burgurly's start to increase at a time when Sosua needs all the good publicity it can get following recent incidents that include kidnapping.
    What's the soloution?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right j&t's it is becoming a visible problem in the town and what a BIG question you ask "what's the soloution?". There was an interesting article in Sosua news about this
    Sos˙a-News

As a tourist town Sosua needs to find a soloution and PDQ but it needs to address the needs of these poor souls not just move them on!
    Hats off to Wolfegang for his efforts!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel compassion for these poor souls but Sosua is a tourist town, not a refugee camp. The business and home owners need to put pressure on the local officials to clear them out. Does Sosua really need an influx of child preditors to show up to prey on these kids? The local kids bugged me in the past but a new batch of beggers and theives might be the icing on the cake. No wonder i spend less time in Sosua.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I feel compassion for these poor souls but Sosua is a tourist town, not a refugee camp. The business and home owners need to put pressure on the local officials to clear them out. Does Sosua really need an influx of child preditors to show up to prey on these kids? The local kids bugged me in the past but a new batch of beggers and theives might be the icing on the cake. No wonder i spend less time in Sosua.

Clear them out?
    Where to?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... a whole bunch of Haitian kids who need to be fed near Sosua. Now if only there was some crazy evangelical woman willing to look after a 100 of them and put them up in an abandoned hotel....

mrgood1000

Default Only 120 miles away in Port Au Prince

No one is coming to the North Coast if they are going to be perpetually hustled by countless Haitian children. I, too, feel for them. Life was bad before and now it is worse. But it is hard to live it up during a brief vacation when you know that their parents probably perished under rubble. But they are going to be highly trained in the area of stealing and pick-pocketing.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The sight of that child sleeping in the garbage bag is heartbreaking. I completely understand the original post, declaring that giving to these children will only increase the numbers of children looking for handouts. Still, how does one turn a blind eye to such a sight, when directly confronted?
    PeterInBrat, You have certainly piqued my interest, with your post. Would you mind elaborating?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For every Haitian child you see begging in Sosua, there are hundreds of others here at home- wherever that may be here in the DR- with their family.

The charity I volunteer with serves poor Haitian refugees. I see about 160 of them each week. I can assure you, the majority of parents are loving and doing all they can to protect their children. No matter how poor they may be, neither the children nor the parents are begging or stealing or hanging out in the streets.

In fact, at least once a week, I think that American fathers could take a lesson from the Haitian fathers I see here, who love and care for their children right along with the mother.

Lindsey

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I was refering to Laura Sisbly, who is currently in a Haitian jail under investigation for trying to collect 33 Haitian "orphans," most of whom were given over to her to go to her transitional orphanage near Cabarete. But most of the kids were not actual orphans, but given over to her by parents who did not always understand she would be putting them up for pemanent adoption. It is a complex case for many reasons, not the least being that Sisbly may have been setting up a for profit orphanage and she has a spotty financial history. She didn't actually have a place for the kids but had planned to use an abandoned hotel near Cabarete until she could build her permanent site. She was originally arrested with 9 other people who have now been released.

Check out the history here:
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/haiti-eart...p-tragedy.html

It is ironic that if she had just stayed in Cabarete, the kids would have come to her.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Back where they came from

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    Clear them out?
    Where to?
    Send them back to Haiti where they came from, same as any governments
    immigration department would do. They're in violation, plain and simple, feeling sorry for these people is no solution to the problem. The Dominican Republic and the north shore has it's share of it's own problems. You can't tell me there is nowhere for them in the campo in the east.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast