Guest Fees

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
has the subject of guest fees ever been discussed ? i know that in other countries to keep customers in their hotels and have their guests visit them, a lot of hotels charge a nominal fee of around 20 USD. they sign in and out and the person signing them in is responsible. this concept works very well in Costa Rica.
if this has been discussed, moderator plz delete asap. thanks

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Kyle don't feel bad 'cause no one seems interested. But it's funny you posted it because as it so happens it is on the agenda for our condo's AGM on Saturday. On a lot of occasions renters bring in "guests" who use the condo facilities, pool, laundry room facilities at no charge, water for showering etc etc. There is no benefit to the condo Association in this deal. In fact many times the owner rents to a "couple" and the next thing you know there are 6, even eight people in a two bedroom unit. So the plan is to charge each and every "visitor" a fee to offset the costs to the Association. If this thread stays open I'll post the reaction.
Mack.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hotels & "Guests"

I can only speak for my experience at the ICD on the North shore in that, without a band you don't get past the door. To get a band you are either a guest (staying 3 nights or longer) or a day visitor that costs US$44 P/P who gets from 10:00 'till 6:00 or 4:00 @till 12:00 (correct me on the last bit if you know better!). After your stay your band is cut off & off you go!
Not sure how the non-AI's do it...

Mack - would be interested to see what kind of decision your Association comes to! And....who would enforce the "no guest" rule should it be adopted?
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
why haven't people been doing this all along ? it works well in Costa Rica and some hotels even have dress codes for the female guests. the hotel has the last word on whether your guest can enter the hotel. and some hotels in Panama allow guests after 11 p.m so most of the families are asleep. i know it has a lot to do with "appearance" for many owners.
keeping this DR related, the hotel owners can keep their guests (male and female) happy and make money at the same time. the fees i've seen were around 20 USD per guest. so for a decent size hotel this is a couple hundred dollars per day.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
there are choices

the all inclusive and the family resorts won't do it

and there are establishments that do
so why not just find one that meets your standards
and hang out there for a bit :)

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Most hotels in Santo Domingo allow guest to overnight or get in your room for a fee.
the rate depend of the hotel. but it goes from 15 dlls. Hilton charge 30dlls for visitors.
In All Incl. you need to buy a day or night pass for you guest. (not overnight)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the all inclusive and the family resorts won't do it

and there are establishments that do
so why not just find one that meets your standards
and hang out there for a bit :)

why won't they do it ? i guess when the Minister of Tourism's pockets get low, they will.... :ermm:

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
why won't they do it ? i guess when the Minister of Tourism's pockets get low, they will.... :ermm:

Becase families are their target market and what they are geared up for.
There are also hotels that target single guys who want to bring in "guests" if you don't want to actually call them hookers.
You just need to decide which you are and book accordingly.
IMHO

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hotels and Condo's are NOT the same thing.
Hotels provide a service for a fee, to it's guests and in some cases, at a day fee to their guests too. Many all inclusive outfits allow access of guests' guests only upon payment of a part day and/or whole day fee.

It is NOT comparable to a condo situation.
Condos involve OWNERSHIP and by (Dominican) law unfettered use of the owned property by the OWNER or whom he assigns it's usage rights too (guest, friends, family even tenants).
I am not a legal professional, but from my experience, there cannot be a "profit" to/for the HOA from the use of common grounds. The HOA is the OWNERS (even when administrated by an outside service). In other words, I sincerely doubt the HOA could seek to make money (profits) off the owners or whom they are FREE to assign the use of their property and THEIR rights to the common area to.
For those who contemplate adding guest fees perceived by an HOA, I'd suggest they post in the Legal section and also seek legal advise from a knowledgeable lawyer on the subject.
I think that there MAY be housing laws which regulate how many people can legally dwell in a 1, 2 or 3 bed room unit and that the HOA may sanction over-occupancy of the units. Still, a fully occupied unit may have occasional day-guests.

... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If there were laws in the Dominican Republic about overpopulating dwellings, there would be no Dominican Republic.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Kyle don't feel bad 'cause no one seems interested. But it's funny you posted it because as it so happens it is on the agenda for our condo's AGM on Saturday. On a lot of occasions renters bring in "guests" who use the condo facilities, pool, laundry room facilities at no charge, water for showering etc etc. There is no benefit to the condo Association in this deal. In fact many times the owner rents to a "couple" and the next thing you know there are 6, even eight people in a two bedroom unit. So the plan is to charge each and every "visitor" a fee to offset the costs to the Association. If this thread stays open I'll post the reaction.
Mack.
This didn't fly this time. Owners present were divided on what to charge, how to implement it and who would collect the money etc. Our Administrator is not on site full time. But it's been put aside for further consideration. Maybe next year?
Mack.