Haitians in the North Coast tourist towns

M

mrgood1000

There is another post mentioning some Haitian children who are sleeping outside in Sosua. According to this post they are being controlled by older people who are turning them into criminals especially targeting tourists. Also, there was a kidnapping mentioned. I am a little out of the loop but if this is true and word gets out then this will not sit real well with potential tourists (needles to say). I can only assume that half the DR army is situated along the Haitian border to prevent an influx.
As a tourist I would prefer to live in my 1st world bubble (forgive the political incorrectness) and pretend that we all live a middle class life like in the resorts and windsurf. I can't handle seeing children sleeping in the streets and begging. It's enough to make me want to just stay home.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there mustnt be much aid getting through in Haiti if people are travelling half way across the country to beg for scraps -has the country been forgotten now ?

yanikeke

Mar 12, 2010
there mustnt be much aid getting through in Haiti if people are travelling half way across the country to beg for scraps -has the country been forgotten now ?

Forgive me JrHartley, but I can't believe I read that, or more incredible yet
that someone wrote it. When men women and children alike almost everyday set out on these lil makeshift rafts to high seas year round, you are now surprise that they would travel a few miles to what they see as El Dorado?
Are you kidding me!?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont fret yourself - I will probably think something completely different in a few minutes, thoughts are not written in stone . I was merely pondering that it would be better to stay put and receive the humantarian aid than travel across the country to feed oneself out of a bin- .I was also asking the question - what sort of aid is still being provided or have they lost interest now its not newsworthy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not only North Coast

This is also becoming a big problem in Santo Domingo, and out laying areas. You are hearing more and more Kyrol in for instance the colonial zone. up to and including a new Haitian restaurant. More kids and adults begging on the corners.

Girl friend in Pedro Brand says they are migrating every where, out there.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
dont fret yourself - I will probably think something completely different in a few minutes, thoughts are not written in stone . I was merely pondering that it would be better to stay put and receive the humantarian aid than travel across the country to feed oneself out of a bin- .I was also asking the question - what sort of aid is still being provided or have they lost interest now its not newsworthy.
The monies sent over was probably taken by there crooked government and the food and supply convoys were attacked by their own people en route to the city. Come on, this is Haiti, does it really surprise you?
The fun has just begun, buckle up.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
This is also becoming a big problem in Santo Domingo, and out laying areas. You are hearing more and more Kyrol in for instance the colonial zone. up to and including a new Haitian restaurant. More kids and adults begging on the corners.

Girl friend in Pedro Brand says they are migrating every where, out there.
They have nowhere else to go..it's like switching seats on the Titanic when you think about it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you knew this was coming. the DR is a light at the end of a horrible tunnel....