Gas station tests

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
in the spirit of the "exchange rate thread", where people compare exchange rates, i'd like to propose as a community we post findings on gas stations based around these two brilliant ideas:

windeguy:
Try this sometime. Take a 5 gallon gasoline can to your favorite station and have them put exactly five gallons into it using the meter on the pump. Do you think you will have five gallons in your can?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/839974-post33.html

Mocamike
One way to see if you are really getting premium is to bring a couple clear or glass jars and put a little regular gas in one and a little premium in the other. They should be very different in color. The colors of the fuels vary by the distributor, but they all dye the premium and the regular a easily noticeable different color.

anyone interested? any ideas for making these tests easier?

could the testing could be done with 2 small containers which have a known volume; thus you would know right away if the volume was right, rather than using a 5 gallon container? is there some way for easily using the gas in your car, etc?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
this could even turn into a simple business idea for someone -- selling a "gas testing kit" which could be sold to residents of third world countries along with color guides and a HOWTO on doing the testing

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Dominican Answer !

If the volume is low the attendant will tell you it's because the gas is cold,
when it heats up it will expand and fill to the proper level.

Don

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
according to posts, locals can't even afford the gas...
they wouldn't even consider paying just to test it :)
good for the tourists maybe :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Why

What will you do when you see that the 5 gallons you bought is not 5 gallons. No Better Business Bureau here!! With gas so expensive why do the Dominicans drive so fast. I asked the wife who is expert on all things Dominican and she said they do not understand that driving fast burns more gasoline than driving slower. They think gas comsumption is all the same slow or fast. Yet they will take every opportunity on their motos to shut off the engine and coast downhill. I live on top of a small hill and all my Dominican neighbors race up the hill. Nothing burns more gas than driving up a steep hill fast!!