Cap Cana Championship

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida and I will be volunteers again this year. I'll be a walking scorer and she will work with the Golf Channel. We're staying at Cappucino Mare in Bavaro.

Who else is going/volunteering? How about a DR1 Meet and Greet while we're there?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Three of us are heading down for our 3rd yr. to do the scoring as well. Twhitehead,another, and again staying at Hotel Flaboyan in Bavaro.
Just hoping the sign kids are able to finish the rounds this year!:cheeky:

BermudaRum

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Three of us are heading down for our 3rd yr. to do the scoring as well. Twhitehead,another, and again staying at Hotel Flaboyan in Bavaro.
Just hoping the sign kids are able to finish the rounds this year!:cheeky:

BermudaRum
I felt like El Jefe Grande making mine keep up and produce properly. I know what you mean...

So lets hook up one evening. Maybe Saturday nite?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I felt like El Jefe Grande making mine keep up and produce properly. I know what you mean...

So lets hook up one evening. Maybe Saturday nite?

I volonteered. They called me to be there friday morning 7.30 all through the weekend. Not much info how it works. All day I guess. Which task should I do to be able to see the golf (been a huge fan of Boom-Boom for 20+ years). how about food etc. I will stay at a friend in punta Cana. How far is it to the golf Course.

Thank u for all info u can provide.

Ps. Saturday evening for a DR1-meeting sound like a plan.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I volonteered. They called me to be there friday morning 7.30 all through the weekend. Not much info how it works. All day I guess. Which task should I do to be able to see the golf (been a huge fan of Boom-Boom for 20+ years). how about food etc. I will stay at a friend in punta Cana. How far is it to the golf Course.

Thank u for all info u can provide.

Ps. Saturday evening for a DR1-meeting sound like a plan.
If you KNOW golf, being a walking scorer is a rewarding job...you are just feet away from players for 18 holes (who make you realize how bad a golfer you really are; I couldn't hit a green over water from 220+ yards with a 2-iron if my life depended on it.) I love it. But be aware you're on your feet for 18 holes for three solid days and the dogs do get tired. You'll need some training because there is an official scoring form to use and some radio work to learn. I went to a training session at Las Lagunas in SDQ a week or so before the tourney. It's not difficult but you do need to understand how to do it and the etiquette involved.

They provide breakfast (coffee, juice, pastries) and a box lunch (which I got ~after~ my guys finished). You're given shirts and a hat to wear as a uniform. There is a neat party on Sunday afternoon for the volunteers.

We get there Thursday afternoon to check in and get shirts, etc., see the logistics and get prepared.

If you're staying in PC you're just minutes from Punta Espada...which is one of the most awesome golf courses I've ever seen. Many stay in Bavaro for the price and it's 20-30 minutes away MOL.

Let's see how many folks want to get together and decide where.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
If you KNOW golf, being a walking scorer is a rewarding job...you are just feet away from players for 18 holes (who make you realize how bad a golfer you really are; I couldn't hit a green over water from 220+ yards with a 2-iron if my life depended on it.) I love it. But be aware you're on your feet for 18 holes for three solid days and the dogs do get tired. You'll need some training because there is an official scoring form to use and some radio work to learn. I went to a training session at Las Lagunas in SDQ a week or so before the tourney. It's not difficult but you do need to understand how to do it and the etiquette involved.

They provide breakfast (coffee, juice, pastries) and a box lunch (which I got ~after~ my guys finished). You're given shirts and a hat to wear as a uniform. There is a neat party on Sunday afternoon for the volunteers.

We get there Thursday afternoon to check in and get shirts, etc., see the logistics and get prepared.

If you're staying in PC you're just minutes from Punta Espada...which is one of the most awesome golf courses I've ever seen. Many stay in Bavaro for the price and it's 20-30 minutes away MOL.

Hi, thank you for the information. A guy named alejandro called me Thursday and asked me to join friday morning the 26th, and then I was in a meeting and he gave me the number to call back (809 469 76 00) Now when I try to call they have an answer machine. Well I can be there thursday afternoon. I can be a Walking Scorer, I am a hcp 3 and can hit a 2-iron 200+ yards. ;) If it hits the green is another question :)

Do you Cobraboy have any other number or connections? Please PM me.

Set me up as a walking scorer for boom boom and I will buy u lots of beers. :cheeky:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi, thank you for the information. A guy named alejandro called me Thursday and asked me to join friday morning the 26th, and then I was in a meeting and he gave me the number to call back (809 469 76 00) Now when I try to call they have an answer machine. Well I can be there thursday afternoon. I can be a Walking Scorer, I am a hcp 3 and can hit a 2-iron 200+ yards. ;) If it hits the green is another question :)

Do you Cobraboy have any other number or connections? Please PM me.

Set me up as a walking scorer for boom boom and I will buy u lots of beers. :cheeky:

Well, Just after I wrote this they called me back . I will be a walking scorer :) and btw she said they needed 5 more...

C u down there

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Well, Just after I wrote this they called me back . I will be a walking scorer :) and btw she said they needed 5 more...

C u down there
Cool...:cool:

They try to put you with different groups each round. I followed 9 different guys. Some are friendly and wanna chat, a couple are...more distant. Same with the caddies. One guy I followed shot a -4 the last round. Awesome to see in person.

Bring comfortable shoes, not golf shoes. Mega sunscreen.

It's a GREAT time!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
It is an amazing time - strongly suggest anyone who enjoys golf to consider volunteering. C U there for the third year...tom

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is a really nice Italian restaurant in Bavaro with terrific food. You guys want to get together there for dinner, say 7-7:30pm, Saturday nite?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Who will be @ the training session Thursday evening? Wanna huddle up and plan dinner for Saturday?

PM me...we leave Thursday morning early morning for some business in SDQ before heading east...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I envy you guys that were there

I was not feeling well at all so I missed it. Next year...

And then Butterswing Fred shoots a 62 last round to win. I would have payed a lot to be walking scorer for that ball.

Next year...