Help with Finding Reliable Plumber in Santiago

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Still searching for an experienced plumber in Santiago. The one I have used in the past just hasn't been satisfactory and many jobs had to be repeated. Still eed to resolve a leak in my system that is causing my pump to cycle much more frequently than it should and reduces water pressure. Previous plumber still unable to determine source. Have replaced the tank already and had the pump itself checked out. Recommendation appreciated.
Jimmy in Cerro Alto

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Have you checked the toilets to make sure the water is stopping completely?

Look at the back edge of the water in the bowl, there should be no movement of the water at that point if the toilets are working properly.

Perhaps a bad check valve letting the water drain backwards though the pump?

Don

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Serious plumber = oxymoron = army intelligence & giant shrimp

What you might dois go over to Coraasan and ask if they have a plumber/inspector that could "help" you with a problem, maybe with a slight gesture of thumb and forefinger rubbing together (be subtle)...Theyhave a lot of guys there. If that does not work, let me know and I will call one of my students that used to work with them (Coraasan) and knows a lot of these guys.

HB

May 29, 2006
Is there a check valve anywwhere in the system? If there is no apparent leak, that would be the first place to check. From what I'm reading you have a pump pressurizing a tank from a resevoir and the tank is losing pressure. There should be a check valve between the pump and the tank. If you can PM me a photo or sketch, I can prob be of some help. The first thing would be to figure out if the system is losing pressure before or after the tank. It would only take a bit of grit in the check valve to make it leak in a backwash. See if closing various valves one at a time will stop the pressure loss. The valves themselves can also be no good which can make diagnosing it harder. Use ball valves whenever possible. Gate valves fail.

This is a cutaway of some checkvalve types:

check_valve.jpg

check_valve_asa_model.jpg

Most nowadays look like this:

double%20check%20valve.jpg

It will have an arrow on the outside to indicate the direction of flow.

May 29, 2006
If you can remove the check valve, see if you can blow into it against the direction of flow. If it is airtight, it should be watertight. Just the act of removing it may also dislodge any grit that is causing the problem.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Santiago Plumber

Thanks for the replies. We did have Coraasan check for a leak last fall. They used some equipment checking from street to house They did not discover anything. I will try and get some photos tomorrow of the pump/pressure tank set up.

Have checked the 5 toilet stools/sinks/showers/tubs/kitchen sink,refer ice maker, water filters, laundry room sinks, et and have no noticeable leaks.

Solution now is turn pump off at night and on when needed during day (what a pain) but keeps electricity bill down and does not burn out pump which will restart ever 5-10 minutes if left on.

Can hardly believe a major city has no reliable/knowledgeable plumbers. Someone could make some decent money here.

May 29, 2006
If you can remove the check valve, see if you can blow into it against the direction of flow. If it is airtight, it should be watertight. Just the act of removing it may also dislodge any grit that is causing the problem.

Oh before you do that, be sure to turn the valve off to the pressure tank. It's bad to let a pressure tank drain out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are so many poor plumbers that a good plumber can't make a living: all the poor ones would be undercutting his prices.

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Question does this pressure tank have an inside bladder or is it an old style pressure tank?
If this is an old style tank its possible that its saturated, and needs to be bleed. Normally via a drain about half way down the tank, open it let the water drain out to that level, and replace the drain stop. this needs to be done about every 2 months on the old style non bladder tanks.

If it's not forget this post as the bladder should keep this from happening, as long as it don't have a hole in it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Question does this pressure tank have an inside bladder or is it an old style pressure tank?
If this is an old style tank its possible that its saturated, and needs to be bleed. Normally via a drain about half way down the tank, open it let the water drain out to that level, and replace the drain stop. this needs to be done about every 2 months on the old style non bladder tanks.

If it's not forget this post as the bladder should keep this from happening, as long as it don't have a hole in it.
My old tank, no bladder, lasted 11 years before rusting out and I never did any draining.
The replacement tank has been in place 2 years and no draining.
Same with the water heater tank.

No draining, no bladders on either of them.

...... Have checked the 5 toilet stools/sinks/showers/tubs/kitchen sink,refer ice maker, water filters, laundry room sinks, et and have no noticeable leaks. .....
With all that you need a full time live-in plumber! ;) lol

Don

Last edited: