building a home

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I am thinking about strating to build a home in the outskirts of Santo Domingo- close to Boca Chica. But I only visit there,..albeit many times a year. I am sure I will have a problems not being on site... I ws thinking about doing it as the Dominicans do- build a floor when you have the money- bit by bit - so that by the time I retire at 55 ( 5 years) I should have it all done... anybody see any issues I might need to think about before gettting involved? I have some friends there but they are poor and, not meaning any disrepect but being practical, - I am unsure if I can really let them handle thousands of my dollars.... any suggestions? thanks Mike

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Build, bit by bit, during vacations and finish it when you move permanently.............

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
The danger time will be when you start to install your windows and doors or your electrical wiring. Within 24 hrs of out well being installed, the control panel (screwed to the wall) was removed and had to be replaced. I am 100% sure that the pump and cable / pipe would have gone as well if we hadn't concreted the well head on completion.

Still that was all that was lost in 3 years of construction, so I guess by some folks we have been really fortunate. I hope your construction goes smoothly.
By the way, just for consideration, don't skimp on the concrete, if you can source ready mix, consider this as a must, especially if your going 2 story height or considering a concrete roof ! At least there will be some degree of accuracy in the concrete strength.