Outdoor Living Space in DR Homes

pengrix

Mar 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm moving to DR for a business venture. I love outdoor lives. I love to sit out side in a patio, back or front yard or by a pool area. I have some questions on the outdoor living space of the homes in the DR. Do most of the houses have outdoor living area like patio, deck or yards? What is the average size of the outdoor living area? How much more expensive are these houses? Are they mostly located in or outside the heart of the city? How do we solve the mosquito issue?

Thanks,
Akio

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I do not live in the DR. I do live in Florida, where the mosquito problem is a huge issue, however. I use these:
Mosquito Dunks
I can buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot, in the states.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Almost all villas here have outdoor living areas. Lots of covered terraces (some very large), some have pools, decking around the pools and some have good sized yards. Size of the yards will vary by neighborhoods and will range from 700 sq meters or so to several thousand meters.

Bob K

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
In Santo Domigo a nice house with pool in a good area will cost you a fortune.
Depend of the area you gonna be working, you can consider to live in Juan Doilio.
Metro Country club and Guavaberry Country Club has some villas starting around 300k
JD is about 40mins, from Santo Domingo.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm moving to DR for a business venture. I love outdoor lives. I love to sit out side in a patio, back or front yard or by a pool area. I have some questions on the outdoor living space of the homes in the DR. Do most of the houses have outdoor living area like patio, deck or yards? What is the average size of the outdoor living area? How much more expensive are these houses? Are they mostly located in or outside the heart of the city? How do we solve the mosquito issue?

Thanks,
Akio

pengrix; welcome to DR1

price varies depending of location, size and features but I will say between
US$130,000.00 to millions
If you give us more detail will be easier to determine the price.
What city are you moving to?
For the mosquito issue I will suggest to screen the backyard terrace.
The screen will prevent you the entry of mosquitoes or other insects, while you enjoy the back yard.
Lucille

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mosquito problem also depends on the area and time of year, most of the time its not a problem here...although the first few weeks some people seem to attract them, sit near someone with lots of bites and you will remain bite free lol

pengrix

Mar 13, 2010
I like jrhartley's idea. I'll find someone with lots of bites and sit next to them. LOLz. Anyways, I have been to santo domingo a few times. Some area of the city is really nice and prices of the real estate there is crazy like NYC prices. I think, as johnny suggested, Juan Doilio might be great. I been there a few time and love it. I'm a sample man. I love outdoor and the weather in DR. I just want somewhere close to the water and enjoy nature. Going from santo domingo to juan doilio, i saw a lot of houses by the water and they seem to be really old. Some of them are just shacks only. Why aren't they mansions? They locations is great, close to the city and by the water.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
What business venture? Tell me tacos!!!!!! Open up a taqueria and I ll name my first born kid after you(I mean my first born goat not a person, what are you? nuts?)

May 29, 2006
The mosquitoes are definitely regional and seasonal. Most are kept in check by the many tiny lizards called anoles during the day and geckos at night along with a healthy bat population. I think they tend to be worse in urban areas where junk and other situations create abundant breeding pools for them. The tiny lizards can number as high as one per square meter in some areas.

As for outdoor living, I would suggest a condo at first unless you have a large family to house. With a condo, the pool and gardens are common areas so the cost is split among many people. When you own your own pool, just the cost of pool pump is significant by Dominican standards. The other thing is that you are never that far from natural beauty in the DR. It is a very diverse country with mountains, beaches, waterfalls, areas like the Napa valley in CA, and lush forests. Hibiscus grows like hedgerows to over 12' high, bouganvillia is a common housevine, and along the roads are yellow and orange cannas. In the garden of the condo I lived in was a nutmeg tree about 4' in diameter. If you like the outdoors, the DR has a lot to offer.