Doing business in the DR

Jacobb

Jul 30, 2005
I have a questions about doing business in the DR. Here is my scenario:

I have a programming/internet marketing/web design company that I can run from anywhere. In one year I will be moving to the DR and running my business from there. All of my contracts are in the states and my business will be based in the US. If I do business with Dominican companies do I need to be registered in the DR in order to do business? How does this work? Will I need to setup a corporation there?

Let me know if you need more info to answer this.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I do business with Dominican companies do I need to be registered in the DR in order to do business? How does this work? Will I need to setup a corporation there?
It depends on how legitimate you want to be.

Many companies will require you to have an RNC number. Otherwise you'll be going around the tax system; that may or may not create problems for you.

The best route is legitimacy. Form a DR company and pay proper taxes.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
USA Company

For a USA Incorporated company to conduct business in the DR, I see it is mandatory by law to have an RNC#, which is necessarry to open a bank account anyway.

Does this meet the minimum or necessary requirements? I would assume it is not completely necessary to also re incorporate in the DR?

Any accurate feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
Do it legit!

Norteman,
Did you have a look here:
DR1 - Business

Not much specifics, but I do recall that for running a business the first stop would be a lawyer.

My gut feeling would be to have a legitimate business, even if you're incorporated in the US. There you're running limited responsibility.
I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the tax system, but I can imagine that some companies might not want to do business with you, if you are still based in the US. Maybe tax-reasons, maybe the hassle if something goes wrong.

I'm working in the internet industry and while the majority are ok, choosing a webdeveloper/designer can be a hit and miss case. Resulting in legal actions afterwards.

If I was to choose a local developer, I would like to know where his business is based. In case something does go wrong.
Daniel