Codetel Have Serious Problems - They Finally Admit it

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
After months of wrangling and phone calls, with an inconsistent service. Codetel finally admitted today they have serious problems. All the equipment in the control centre in Sosua alone, and the cabling must be replaced.

I spoke to one of the managers, again today, in Codetel in Santo Domingo, not the call centres. This may well affect other areas. They do not know when the work will be done, but said this will be months down the line. He told me this also a couple of months ago. I had been paying for 1.5MB and never received it. I originally had a 2MB plan, but after one month they changed it and said 2MB is not available in Sosua to those on the residents plan.

Now I see on their website, the only plan you can have in Sosua is 0.5MB, as shown below;

Codetel

This is mine today;

The codetel test site shows I am receiving 76kbps download and 21kbps upload.

The Manager for my area, finally refunded me 9675RD for all the overcharging on my facturas. I was only owed about 4700RD, but the rest was for the inconvenience. What a milestone that must be. :tired:

So now we have to put up with it until Carlos Slim can "afford" all the new works. After all, he is struggling, he is now the richest man in the world, with $53 Billion. (He only overtook Bill Gates from MS, apparently, because he does not donate to charity, as Bill Gates does.)

This is incredible, did you know Afghanistan has the fastest internet in the world, according to the news. Their infrastructure is far worse than ours.

How is the internet in your area? C & P the forum link in Speedtest.net and let us see just which areas are better/worse than others.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have had 1.5MB DSL connection in the office since 1997 and with relatively few problems over the past 13 years. The speed has been pretty good and consistant, not that I monitor it daily.

I guess we are about 2km as the crow flys from the main Codetel data center.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I had 1.5MB, it was good for a few months, but they told me it was no longer available in Sosua and said I may as well change to .5MB, as that was all that was available in Sosua now. The Manager was good enough to admit that they are still charging people for 1.5MB. I changed the plan to .5MB and when I checked my bill on line this month, they were still charging me for 1.5MB, even though it showed I was on .5MB. The Manager was so fed up with the mistakes of the accounts department, that he gave me that big credit.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im in la mulata 1 , we usually have a good connection as I am constantly downloading stuff its showing 0.79 at the moment, but i have a lot of things downloading

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......This is mine today;

.............How is the internet in your area? C & P the forum link in Speedtest.net and let us see just which areas are better/worse than others.

I doubt if you would want to use what I get in the USA with cable connection as a benchmark.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I doubt if you would want to use what I get in the USA with cable connection as a benchmark.

Yeah the guys from the US and other countries on my fta forum have shown me what they receive. :surprised

Are you in Sosua? What plan are you paying for to actually receive that weak signal in the DR? Because I also wanted this thread to be a warning to folk to see what they are receiving and what they are paying for. ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Fios is even faster!

nq23y8.jpg

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
In Cabarete I just got .78 down / .67 up using speedtest.net (which I've never used before).

I wonder a little about using speedtest.net to obtain the #'s..

Using Speakeasy Speed Test to Atlanta the speed result returned 1.55 down, .74 up which is a) appropriate for the Codetel plan here & b) seems more accurate to me based on how quickly videos load, etc.

I'd hate to see speeds drop to what you seem to be experiencing.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ladybird... try something.
I just reran the speedtest on speedtest.net changing the server for testing from sto domingo to atlanta.

Using Atlanta as the test server I got 1.56 down, .73 up - which is similar to results I got using speakeasy.

(after the test runs, there's an option to 'change server' at top right of the map image)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I switched the server from Santo Domingo to Tampa, Florida and my results showed a higher speed.

Santo Domingo shows a distance to server of 100 miles (Ping was 107 ms)
Tamp, Florida shows a distance to server of 950 miles. (Ping was 216 ms)

:confused: So what should we believe with these test? :confused:

Don

Reactions: Tamborista

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com

Yeah the guys from the US and other countries on my forum have shown me what they receive in the US. :surprised

Are you in Sosua? What plan are you paying for to actually receive that weak signal? Because I also wanted this thread to be a warning to folk to see what they are receiving and what they are paying for. ;)

Feb 7, 2007
I have 256 kbps at home, downgraded in December as I do bulk of my Internet usage in the office and only do simple web browsing at home.

My results (speedtest.net, server Santo Domingo):
0.25 upload
0.18 download
138 ping response

Feb 7, 2007
Ladybird... try something.
I just reran the speedtest on speedtest.net changing the server for testing from sto domingo to atlanta.

Remember there is virtually non-existent national peering in the DR, so if the IP address you access is NOT on the Codetel's network but rather on the network of Onemax, Wind, Tricom, Orange, Viva, etc. the traffic first goes to the USA and then it returns back to the DR.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
down 0.79 mb/s
up 0.12 mb/s
ping 78 ms
i do not know if it is good or bad but i know it is outrageously expensive. internet in the UK is way cheaper... :(