Carretera Touristica

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can anyone give me a recent report on the condition of the old mountain road between Santiago and the North Coast?

TIA

Mocamike

Nov 18, 2006
From a week ago.

I drove over to the North Coast a week ago on the carretera turistica and it was ok. Same rough areas as before but still a scenic route and no problems as long as you don't mind going slowly on the bumpy areas. I actually prefer it to the Navarete-Puerto Plata road.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I drove over to the North Coast a week ago on the carretera turistica and it was ok. Same rough areas as before but still a scenic route and no problems as long as you don't mind going slowly on the bumpy areas. I actually prefer it to the Navarete-Puerto Plata road.

For sure, I would rather risk the mountain road than face those unmaintained trucks that could pop a tire or drop a load of freight off their unsecured beds.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mountain road is sure beautiful but i always get very sick travelling there, regardless of all the dramamine i can take :(

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
mountain road is sure beautiful but i always get very sick travelling there, regardless of all the dramamine i can take :(

always take the Ride in the front passenger seat and never look to the sides of the road.

This will help

JJ

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The secret to not getting sick on mountain roads............? Do the driving! I NEVER get carsick when I drive, but on the rare occasion I end up as a passenger on a winding road, there is a good chance at some point the window will be rolled down.

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
I also take the "cumbre". As others have suggested, do not be in a hurry and drive slow and as always, do not assume that the puddle you are about to drive in will not swallow your car or jepeta. I snapped my neck on that road last year while hitting one of those pot holes. Thankfully for my Chiropractor in Cabarete I can turn my head again. The Santiago-Navarette-Puerto Plata road is quite dangerous. I watched as a truck, attempting to pass another truck nearly wipe out an entire family on the side of the road.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Take the Moca road.

The turistica is a disaster. Not that the Moca road is smooth as glass, but I find it better and safer than the Turistica.