sale of contract

abused

Feb 4, 2009
hello,

i need legal expert option please.

my ex and i bought property in the DR. he sold it without me knowing. the contract was done in the DR and he signed for both of us without my knowledge. please note the contract was done all illegal, the contract states that we are signing it infront of 2 witnesses (living in the DR) which also signed for the contract , plus the buyer and the lawyer aswell (all living in the DR). the contract is all a lie because my ex signed for his name and mine in canada and couriered it to the DR for the others to sign. this lawyer did something illegal by lying on the contract.
my question is : i want to sue my ex for forgery. how do i go about it ? can i sue him in canada if the contract was done in the DR? my ex is a perminent residence and i`m a canadian citizen. Or do i have to go to the DR to sue him there ?
Knowing the contract is illegal, will the courts dismiss the forgery case because of this?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Get a lawyer.

Nobody here can help you.

Guzman & Ariza are excellent.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Cobraboy is exactly right! Don't ask total strangers who may be butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, ask a lawyer!

Reactions: mike l

abused

Feb 4, 2009
so getting a lawyer here in canada is not worth it?? are you trying to tell me, i cannot persue this in canada, and that i will have to take this up in the DR??

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Could a mod move this to the legal forum and maybe Fabio Guzman could at least advise the OP on the first step?

abused

Feb 4, 2009
hello,

i need legal expert option please.

my ex and i bought property in the DR. he sold it without me knowing. the contract was done in the DR and he signed for both of us without my knowledge. please note the contract was done all illegal, the contract states that we are signing it infront of 2 witnesses (living in the DR) which also signed for the contract , plus the buyer and the lawyer aswell (all living in the DR). the contract is all a lie because my ex signed for his name and mine in canada and couriered it to the DR for the others to sign. this lawyer did something illegal by lying on the contract.
my question is : i want to sue my ex for forgery. how do i go about it ? can i sue him in canada if the contract was done in the DR? my ex is a perminent residence and i`m a canadian citizen. Or do i have to go to the DR to sue him there ?
Knowing the contract is illegal, will the courts dismiss the forgery case because of this?

PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT HAVE THE $$$ TO PERSUE THIS IN THE DR, that is why i am asking if i can do it here in canada.

May 29, 2006
This thread should be moved to legal...

The only thing that could help you in Canada would be if the property was listed in your divorce as a mutual asset and you got divorced in Canada, but I'm only saying that having been a baker.

In any case, at this point, I think the action in the DR would have to taken against the current property owners and they would then take action against your ex for fraud. You need real legal advice.

abused

Feb 4, 2009
PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT HAVE THE $$$ TO PERSUE THIS IN THE DR, that is why i am asking if i can do it here in canada.

i want to know if i can take him to court for forgery in canadian courts. i already know i lost the money part and the property. my question is about forgery and suing him in canada knowing the contract was done in the dr.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
MOVE THE POST TO THE LEGAL FORUM, SO THE OP CAN GET AN ANSWER THAT IS NOT SPECULATION.

The rest of us need to wait and see what Guzman says.

E

engineerfg

I concur with the comment that you should seek legal advice.

However in terms of WHERE you should get the lawyer, and what jurisdiction you should pursue relief, there are some things to consider:

1. were you married to your ex? was this part of a forced shall we say, separation arrangement?

2. what was the jurisdiction of the contract? was it stated in the contract that the contract would be construed under the laws of dr or canada?

3. does your ex have any assets in Canada? or DR? this is probably the most important question to ask. you could for example pursue relief in Canada, win a judgment, and be unable to enforce the judgment in Canada if your ex has no assets in Canada...

Again without knowing more, and without negating the advice of seeking a lawyer, I would recommend the following:

1. if your ex has assets and/or residence in Canada - pursue the advice of a Canadian lawyer.

2. if not, then go to DR and do the same.

Good luck.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unless its worth millions

Forget it and walk away with a good lesson learned. It sounds like you have never had much experience with lawyers either in the DR or Canada. They will only take more of your money and raise false hope. You can make your problem worse. Hire a lawyer and you will see. In the DR cars and property are routinely sold without titles or forged titles. You have been victimized. You are one among thousands. These guys are pro's. Try to get over it and move on with your life. Sorry for what happened but dont let it embitter you. All you can change in this circumstance is your attitude towards the theft and the thief.