Tremor in SD, anyone feel it?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
friend in the capital sent text msg that he felt it... i noticed nothing in cabarete

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I did not feel it and I was at my desk....
The whole world is accomodating the adjustment in Chile. Can you imagine? Concepci?n, Chile is now 3 meters further West!!! Ten feet!!...And so are some of the islands off the coast. Buenos Aires is an inch further west!!!

Movement that size means the whole world had to adjust...Like a woman getting the jeans just right, sexy but unnerving too.!!!

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont think Chile, I think it was an aftershock from Haiti. Speaking of movement I saw a show on the Discovery Channel about the earthquake in January that if I can remember said that the port of Puerto Prinicipe moved about 20 feet to the south(essentially the port is in the ocean now). And they showed a before and after photograph of a mountain range and there was one tree in particular that important to the photo because in the before shot it was on the shoreline and after the earthquake it was the sole piece of vegetation(dead) sitting about 40 feet from the new shoreline in the ocean. The tree was still planted in the soil, its just that the range moved and the displaces everything on top of it.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
I am on my way home from Chile as I write this. I was in the center of the quake here and jumped out of my bedroom window in the nude when it hit. Scarrrry!!!(The quake not me in the nude).
These people are amazing. Power outage in Concepcion last night and still a few aftershocks ,but, almost business as usual today.Great flight out of Conce this evening, and I,ll be drinking cold presidentes tomorrow afternoon.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Lecture on Seismic Risks in Hispanola

Given the interest in this subject on the island these days, those of you in SD next Monday might be interested in attending this free lecture/discussion by some local experts:

"Riesgos S?smicos de la Isla La Hispaniola: Desaf?os y Vulnerabilidad RD"

PROGRAMA:

ASOCIACION DE EGRESADOS DE ESCUELAS DE SEGURIDAD Y DEFENSA, ADEESD

I. DATOS GENERALES

FECHA : Lunes 22de marzo de 2010
HORARIO : 8:00 p. m. 9:30 p.m.
LUGAR : Ministerio de Cultura, Sal?n de Artes Ram?n Oviedo
CORDINADORAS : Rosa Ng y Rhaysa Mart?nez

II. OBJETIVO GENERAL
Este taller tiene como prop?sito actualizar a los asistentes del riesgo s?smico de la isla y las implicaciones que tendr?a en el pa?s el impacto de esa naturaleza. Con el objetivo de poder asumir en un proceso de prevenci?n, mitigaci?n y respuesta.

III. OBJETIVOS ESPECIFICOS

Al finalizar este taller los participantes estar?n en condiciones de:

? Conocer y entender los alcances de estos fen?menos.
Establecer redes de colaboraci?n y/o reflexi?n de este tema.
? Dimensionar la importancia de estar actualizados.
? Conocer la situaci?n de la isla en su estructura geol?gica.
? Conocer los roles institucionales en cuanto a los retos, desaf?os y vulnerabilidades del pa?s.
? Fortalecer los espacios de di?logos de expertos en Defensa y Seguridad.

IV. CONTENIDOS

?Principales Retos frente a la sismicidad en la Republica Dominicana?
Prof. Eugenio Polanco
Director de Sismolog?a de la Universidad Aut?noma de Santo Domingo

?Terremotos en la Hispaniola: 40 a?os ignorando la Tect?nica de Placas?
Ing. Romeo A. LLin?s
Asesor Minero
Ministerio de Industria y Comercio

?Las vulnerabilidades de las Infraestructuras"
Ing. Rafael Taveras Moronta
Oficina Nacional de Evaluaci?n S?smica

?Plan de Contingencia de la Rep?blica Dominicana?
Edwin Olivares
Sub-director de la Comisi?n de Emergencia (COE)
Jefe de Operaciones

La moderaci?n del panel estar? a cargo de la Lic. Rhaysa Mart?nez, Secretaria General de la ADEESD

ACCESO LIBRE Y GRATUITO