Who's responsible?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
The car is registered in my name, a licensed driver uses it with my permission, they get in an accident with injuries and property damage, who's responsible? Does it revert back to estranero pays princible? If you have an accident with a car owned by a rental car company the driver is responsible. Anyone have any experience with this?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Not enough info!
Was the car fully insured?
Who's fault was the accident?
Was it reported to the police and insurance company?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
There was no accident, if there was I would be asking these things of a lawyer. I just wanted to know if anyone on the board knew what your exposure was if you let someone use your car and they got into an accident. It sounds like most local insurance you could buy would cover another driver. I guess the rules are not much different than those in the States. Thanks for the reply.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The way that I understand it is that the vehicle is insured, not the driver. As long at it is driven by someone with a valid licence.

If that driver had an accident then he or she would be liable (if it was their fault) and provided nothing illegal happened, the vehicle's insurance should cover it.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
While not a legal professional, I would be inclined to believe that the liability is attached to the vehicle. The vehicle needs to carry liability insurance (by law). If it doesn't the Owner is at risk. For any amounts over the insured coverage the owner may be liable.
The driver is criminally liable (unless the vehicle is not legal, including not or under-insured as to legal requirements). In other words, if he causes injury or death, he will be the first dragged to jail.
The owner may be liable if his driver has no legal license too or the case is being made that he let a drunk person drive (knowingly, allegedly).

I would not do it. And if I'd have to do it, I would CONSULT my lawyer(s) first and, among other things, ask if it would not protect me further to have such a vehicle in an incorporation's name (NOT the one which also holds the house, obviously).

... J-D.