dog breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGA

Feb 2, 2010
any legitimate dog breeders in the area or am i better off buying in the states and brining it back?

i'm interested in something small (poodle, italian greyhound, chihuahua, etc.).

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
SGA - Just read the info posted on the DR1 Support link you posted. Did you call Dr. Jose Raul Nova?

I am also interested in purchasing a small dog in DR and bringing it back with me next week. Any details on your research you want to share? thanks!

SGA

Feb 2, 2010
here is his info. i assume it's current. i have not tried calling yet.

Rafael Fern?ndez # 16B. Ens. Naco
Santo Domingo, D.N.
Rep?blica Dominicana
Tels: +1(809)566-2897 / 559-8676
Fax : +1(809)565-5891
Cel : +1(809)669-2780
E-mail: joseraulnova@gmail.com

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Please consider the option of adopting a puppy or small dog (rather than encouraging more breeding) in this country where there are many, many dogs in need of kind loving homes who in return will give you love, affection, loyalty and security.

On the north coast area, contact Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. Friends of the Animals or, if in the Santo Domingo area, there is an association called PADELA - there is a link on this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/100885-do-we-have-dog-problem-dr.html

May 29, 2006
The puppy mill business is a pretty gruesome industry in the US run mostly by the Amish of all people. The dogs are kept in cages for their entire lives and when rescued, they have to be trained how to walk. Any dogs in a litter that can't be sold in some mall pet shop get culled soon after birth and after a breeding dog goes through six or eight litters, it's simply killed. Because the businesses work with a small gene pool, inbreeding problems are common, such as deafness in Dalmations and hip and spine problems in other breeds.

Check the conditions of the place where your dog came from. The industry needs a major clean up in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/20/us/amish-at-heart-of-puppy-mill-debate.html?pagewanted=all

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The puppy mill business is a pretty gruesome industry in the US run mostly by the Amish of all people. The dogs are kept in cages for their entire lives and when rescued, they have to be trained how to walk. Any dogs in a litter that can't be sold in some mall pet shop get culled soon after birth and after a breeding dog goes through six or eight litters, it's simply killed. Because the businesses work with a small gene pool, inbreeding problems are common, such as deafness in Dalmations and hip and spine problems in other breeds.

Check the conditions of the place where your dog came from. The industry needs a major clean up in the US.

Amish at Heart of 'Puppy Mill' Debate - NYTimes.com

Is your post relating to people buying from dog breeders solely in the US? If not, I am slightly confused :confused:

May 29, 2006
The OP mentioned possibly buying dogs from the US. I was saying that it isn't a very reputable business here. I don't know anything about the industry in the DR.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The OP mentioned possibly buying dogs from the US. I was saying that it isn't a very reputable business here. I don't know anything about the industry in the DR.

Thank you for the clarification... I have seen 'alleged' pure bred bitches in many countries (not just in the US) where they have been bred twice a year and abused for their production powers to make money without any thought or care to the animal in question. Puppy farms are a disgrace wherever they are and should be iradicated.

May 29, 2006
Personally I think paying $300-$1000 for a dog is nuts. I could never get a dog for myself because I'd be too tempted to name it "Stay"

Come here, Stay; Stay, come here!

We did raise a dog once when I was a kid for the Seeing Eye program. You get a puppy and bring it to obediance school about once month. Great program and you learn how to train dogs too.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I would advise buying a puppy where you live. Because flying a dog anywhere is a freakin hassle nowadays. Most of the LCCs only allow small dogs that they treat as carryons. Except that you have to buy them a ticket, which will cost $100 and up.

The bigger carriers will generally let you check a dog in like luggage. But they will have certain restrictions to protect themselves from liability. For example, AA won't let you check your dog in if the temperature at your destination is more than 80 degrees. Basically, they don't want to be held responsible if your dog suffocates or dies from the heat while riding down with the luggage.

And I can't imagine what you'd have to go through at customs on an international flight.

My miniature schnauzer has flown only once in his life. Hope he enjoyed it. Because he won't be flying anymore on my dime.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Guys, I have been checking into pet adoptions here as well. I rescued my cat 12 years ago... so this is something I will very much do again if I can.

I am looking into options and thought of getting a small dog from DR - my friend bought one in the street for like $100 not long ago and brought back as a carry on. Doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. That dog got rescued regardless of its beginnings, thats what I think.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Guys, I have been checking into pet adoptions here as well. I rescued my cat 12 years ago... so this is something I will very much do again if I can.

I am looking into options and thought of getting a small dog from DR - my friend bought one in the street for like $100 not long ago and brought back as a carry on. Doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. That dog got rescued regardless of its beginnings, thats what I think.

When I first arrived in the DR, I too bought a dog in the street for RD$ 1500 and she is a truly wonderful little dog now 3.5 years old. Then I 'saw the light' so to speak - whilst people continue to buy from the street vendors, the indiscriminate breeders will have their bitches still producing.... if no-one buys the puppies then maybe they will re-think this source of income. I know it doesn't help those already born and seeking homes but in the longer term it can only be a good thing.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
When I first arrived in the DR, I too bought a dog in the street for RD$ 1500 and she is a truly wonderful little dog now 3.5 years old. Then I 'saw the light' so to speak - whilst people continue to buy from the street vendors, the indiscriminate breeders will have their bitches still producing.... if no-one buys the puppies then maybe they will re-think this source of income. I know it doesn't help those already born and seeking homes but in the longer term it can only be a good thing.

You are right. I have been looking for one to adopt, so this will be my first preference. I promise ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.